News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2024 USA 235,225,215 / 75 / 15 white wall tire options

Started by TJ Hopland, March 25, 2024, 12:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

This now seems to be changing year to year.  I'm not talking about a 'correct' width and placement white wall.  I'm also not a huge fan of ordering a tire from a place that can't install it.  Its hard enough to find a shop that won't destroy your stuff when they are making the money off the sale too so adding that you are bringing your own tires doesn't help.

For several years the Hankook Optimio was available but the last times I looked for it looks like its no longer an option.  Discount Tire looks like they have 2 options Nexan N Priz AH5 and Milestar MS775, both in the $100 ballpark.  They also list Vouge in the $200+ range.  If you were to spend that might as well go for correct ones.

Nexan looks to be a long time manufacturer from South Korea.  Milestar is less clear, looks like Nankang which is Taiwan?  Less confidence in a brand that makes you dig to see who they are.   Anyone have any experience with either one either the model or even the brands?

Any other options?  And please make sure its still available.  It doesn't do anyone any good to recommend a product we can't get.             
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364 on March 25, 2024, 12:41:29 PMTry Cooper tires

Got a model number?  Based on my search of their website they only 2 models that come anywhere near that size are either a AT white letter truck tire or a black wall winter tire.

smokuspollutus

I have a set of Cooper Trendsetters which are smooth and quiet and needed very little weight to balance. Turned brown pretty badly for the first year or so as is standard fare with non specialty manufacture whitewalls today. After a year of frequent scrubbing the brown returns but much less than it did. Purchased in 2019. Cursory look seems like their selection is a lot less than back then but seems like some are still available?

What size in particular are you looking for?

dn010

I have Nexan tires on two of the vehicles in my fleet. No issues with them at all.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The whitewalls of Coker American Classics scrub up bright white easily and remain that way indefinitely. 

SureTrac tires are much less expensive but are extremely difficult to get the whitewalls white and turn brown quickly.

Two years ago I bought a set of Ironman 225-75-15 with 1" WW for a '90 Brougham that were priced relatively inexpensively and the whitewalls were as cooperative as the Cokers.

Whenever I need whitewall tires, I purchase online and have them shipped to the shop I deal with a few doors away.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

It kinda looks like the Cooper Trendsetter isn't available in the US but maybe is still in places in Europe?  Doesn't bother me since my last several goodyear brand experiences have not been very good. 

Suretrack looks like its Staridge of China and like many brands not real easy to see who owns em. I would imagine they make a lot of store brands as well as possibly economy options for big brands.

Good to hear at least one person has the Nexan's.  It also seems like possibly a good company since they sell under their real name.

Ironman looks like a bit of a trail to follow that possibly ends up in the Goodyear family?  RB-12 NWS looks like the model we are talking about and looks like there are plenty of dealers and are in that $100 ballpark.  I think these are worth considering. 

Here's a link to the '90 Brougham I was referring to above with the Ironman tires on. There's a closeup image of a wheel in the photo gallery. They rode and performed beautifully. Another dealer who bought the same tire on my recommendation was also very pleased with them.

https://www.raleighclassic.com/vehicles/2571/1990-cadillac-fleetwood-brougham

smokuspollutus

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on March 26, 2024, 08:01:09 AMhttps://www.raleighclassic.com/vehicles/2571/1990-cadillac-fleetwood-brougham

Eric-if I read this correctly, no issues turning brown? I have to replace a set of Lanvigator Primetours which stay white but are getting older and low on tread.

Bessy

Spoke with Johnny, at Diamond Back yesterday, and talked at length about stability of bright white sidewall colors.
Recommended:  white sidewalls be cleaned with a diluted solution of Simple Green...do not use bleach based cleaners, tire shine spray not be sprayed onto tires but rather a rag and wiped on desired tire areas except white walls, do not stack tires for storage, if at all possible.

Respectfully,
mark & Bessy
Membership # 34742

Quote from: smokuspollutus on March 26, 2024, 09:56:34 AMEric-if I read this correctly, no issues turning brown? I have to replace a set of Lanvigator Primetours which stay white but are getting older and low on tread.

Correct.  The tires shown on the Brougham in the photos were installed in the summer of 2022. 

Quote from: Bessy on March 26, 2024, 10:48:19 AMSpoke with Johnny, at Diamond Back yesterday, and talked at length about stability of bright white sidewall colors.
Recommended:  white sidewalls be cleaned with a diluted solution of Simple Green...do not use bleach based cleaners,

It depends on the tire. With the SureTracs, it took a Scotchbrite pad used with a heavy duty cleaner and a lot of elbow grease.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

We put a set of Hankook Kinergy tires on the 55 last year. About $125 each mounted and balanced for 235/75/15's, however I just took the wheels into them and put them on the car myself. We only have about 600 miles on them, but no complaints..... I even got to clean the blue off the whitewall myself!!
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

TJ Hopland

Hankook Kinergy ST H735 looks like what we are talking about here.  This must be what replaced the Optimo.

Glad I started this thread because I wasn't really finding much with general searches but with some clues to go on we can find em. 

81 BENY Biarritz

I purchased a set of the Nexen AH5s for my Eldo in the 225/70/15 size to match the original size that came with the Touring Suspension option that is on the car.  Coopers were available in the standard tire size but weren't available in a WW in the lower profile size.  Bought them online via E-bay and was very pleasantly surprised when they all arrived together and with pretty much the same fresh date codes on them.  Have had them for at least three years now and the whitewalls do not go brown.  I haven't put many miles on them but they ride fine and look good on the car.  I was happy enough with them to purchase another set for my Seville about a year ago and again they arrived on my doorstep in perfect condition and all with recent date codes.  Haven't put any miles on them yet but for the price I thought they were a great deal especially given how hard it is to find WWs.   

JerRita

When I couldn't get the Optima last year. I tried the Nexen on our 91 brougham daily driver.They ride great and the price was right 354.00 a set on ebay with fresh date codes and free shipping in 2 days. Jerita
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

TJ Hopland

Good to hear the Nexan's have been around for a few years and so far are holding up well, one more thing in their favor.

Here's a SureTrac 215-75R-15 on a '79 CdV. It took considerable time/effort to get the whitewall to look like this- more than I ever spent on any tire. I used a Scotch Brite pad and multipurpose soap concentrate from a local reconditioning supplier that sells to auto detailers/car dealers. This product far more effective than anything offered in most typical auto parts stores. 

In 2019, the price for the set of four was $376 shipped.

dn010

I also have Nexen AH5s with the thin white wall on my 57, I forgot about these tires on this car until I went to go move the car yesterday, so that makes 3 cars in my fleet with these tires. I do recall I purchased them on Amazon and my car took 235/75R15s. They were $80 a piece when I got them. 

Quote from: 81 BENY Biarritz on March 26, 2024, 07:21:30 PMI purchased a set of the Nexen AH5s for my Eldo in the 225/70/15 size to match the original size that came with the Touring Suspension option that is on the car.  Coopers were available in the standard tire size but weren't available in a WW in the lower profile size.  Bought them online via E-bay and was very pleasantly surprised when they all arrived together and with pretty much the same fresh date codes on them.  Have had them for at least three years now and the whitewalls do not go brown.  I haven't put many miles on them but they ride fine and look good on the car.  I was happy enough with them to purchase another set for my Seville about a year ago and again they arrived on my doorstep in perfect condition and all with recent date codes.  Haven't put any miles on them yet but for the price I thought they were a great deal especially given how hard it is to find WWs.   
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

smokuspollutus

The sad part is that the Suretracs almost exactly replicate the OE tires of the mid 70s-80s in whitewall placement and width. If only the stayed white. My Lanvigator tires are the forerunner of Suretrac (exactly the same tire besides the name) but curiously stay white.

There was also an issue with a run of them that had a sloppily applied whitewall that left a small gap as shown above. I know several people who had issues with that on a 2019 run of Suretracs.

Sounds like if you want a somewhat thicker whitewall, the Ironmans are the way to go.