News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966 starter problems installing

Started by Cadillac George, March 27, 2024, 06:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac George

Hi, just had my starter rebuilt since the one I got from AutoZone did not have the two tapped holes for the engine bracket brace or the frame support.  So you would think I would have no problem getting it back in.  I can bolt up the two bolts to the flywheel housing but the engine bracket mount is off.  I can't tighten the bolt on the starter for the engine mount after the starter is bolted to the flywheel case, so I can't mount the bracket on the engine and then bolt it to the starter.  I thought I had the bracket bolted to the starter correctly, but it's 1/8" off the hole on the engine.

Do I need to raise the back end of the transmission to get the holes to line up or just drill out the bracket hole larger and use a large washer for the bolt?  Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm getting old taking this starter in and out of the car laying on my back!  Thanks

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

George, IF the starter was a bit longer would the hole line up? If so, you don't have the correct starter. The correct starters are usually listed as "high torque". What they did a while back is found out that Chevy starters will fit even though they are less powerful. You need the "High Torque starter that is about 1/2 inch longer than the smaller one.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Cadillac George

Greg, it's the same starter I took out of the car. I had it rebuilt because I wanted to make sure it would fit and have the bolt holes for the bracket and ran support.  I think I don't have the bracket in the correct position when I bolted it to the starter.  Unfortunately, I can't get at the bolt on the starter to tighten it when the bracket is on the starter.  Thanks for your reply.