News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Cadillac today?

Started by TJ Hopland, May 07, 2020, 01:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Trout

It’s snowing in Upstate New York so right now, I’m doing nothing. Most recently I was able to fix squeak in the steering wheel where a trim piece from the horn button was rubbing against the column. It took some fussing and taking the trim pieces on and off several times, but eventually it wasn’t squeaking anymore. My wife has proclaimed it my greatest victory.

I’ve ordered some pinch weld clips so I can replace a damaged fin on the passenger side without worrying about breaking clips during the removal. I’ve also identified a few pieces of weather stripping to replace and will order them soon.

Upcoming projects are replacing the drivers side door hinges, getting the rear bumper snug to the body, and replacing the front bumper with a replated one in the basement. These will require extra hands or going to a shop, so I’m waiting for my part of NY state to start opening back up before I start volunteering my friends to help.
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

JohnnyRockit

Today I finished the rust repair in both rear corners of the trunk. All of this rust issue was caused by the factory sealer failing and subsequent water incursion past the trunk seal allowed water to sit in the failed sealer areas. I ended up having to order one of those contour tools to recreate the curves in the sheetmetal (and also a new trunk seal) and that was a good solution. Now, if I could only figure out how to make pretty welds!

Johnny
1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

JohnnyRockit

And today, replaced the u-joint bolts (from Ebay) that were too short to a new set (from RoackAuto) that are also too short! The ones I put on today were maybe 1 thread longer, still needed another 1/8" or so.

Still looking for the next solution.

Johnny
1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

Scot Minesinger

I bought the hood holder installer/remover that bolts to engine crane from Summit.  The 1970 Cadillac hood weighs about 110 lbs and is easy for two to pick up, it is not even close to 500 lbs.  I will chance the extra 10 lbs beyond capacity.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

2manycars

I pulled the radiator and radiator support. Drilled out a corroded bolt from the bottom mount for the battery tray.

Next I will need to pull the intake and start unhooking things underneath for the engine and trans pullout. They are absolutely filthy all over.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on May 10, 2020, 03:48:22 PM
I bought the hold remover from Summit.  The 1970 Cadillac hood weighs about 110 lbs and is easy for two to pick up, it is not even close to 500 lbs.  I will chance the extra 10 lbs beyond capacity.

You do know I was joking about that, right?

When you are trying to do anything with the hood by yourself,  it always feels like it weighs 500 pounds, regardless of actual weight.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

64\/54Cadillacking

Of all the Cadillacs I’ve owned my (prior) 72 Sedan Deville and 64 Sedan Deville  have the heaviest hoods of all my classic cars that I have owned. The 64 is especially heavy and sounds scary loud when it slams on accident!!

The new to me 54 Fleetwood has thicker tougher sheet metal all around but the hood isn’t as heavy as the other Cads surprisingly. That hood lift looks to be very useful in cars like ours.

Today or I should say yesterday I removed the carburetor on the 54 since it was running like crap and just didn’t idle correctly and the engine would die constantly.

I took apart the Edelbrock Carb that someone installed and cleaned it all up. Their were small sediments inside the float chamber, and this greenish/bluish crud stuck on the floats and bowl itself. This is obviously varnish from really ancient gas sitting in the carb. It smelled horrible too! After removing the jets, needle and seat, metering rods for cleaning, i reinstalled the carb and the car is running better now. I think whoever hooked up all the linkage brackets, didn’t do it correctly I’m assuming because It looks shady. That’s one task I’m glad I got out of the way. My next tasks are to replace the spark plugs, ignition coil, cap and rotor, plug wires, oil change etc..

A basic tune up maintenance job for the old Lacky  8)

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Scot Minesinger

Richard, yes and I was joking back at you by mentioning that weight again.  I'm an engineer with a dry sarcastic sense of humor - sorry about that.  I certainly know many of the component weights within 50% or so worse case.  Everyone knows the hoods weigh around 120 lbs or so worst case.  I did find that doors on a 65 Coupe where much heavier than my 1970 two door.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

quadfins

Washed, Waxed, and detailed the exterior and engine bay.

Tomorrow - interior cleaning ad leather treatment.

Sunlight sure does highlight the artistry of the body sculpting. Those stylists knew their stuff!!!

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

2 Devilles

Cleaned up my '60 and took it out to our weekly cruise. Been having close to 500 cars each night. Took it out on a road trip yesterday.
Lucas Johnson

1960 Coupe Deville
1970 Coupe Deville
1972 Mach 1 Mustang
1974 F100 2wd
1977 F250 Highboy
1994 F250 4x4

JohnnyRockit

Well, I naively assumed the trunk leak I had was coming from the trunk seal, but NO. Apparently, after water testing, the leaks were coming from inside the car, which means it's getting in through the rear glass gasket.

So, today I pulled off all the rear window trim and removed the glass and gasket. I'm glad I did since it was a muddy, debris-filled ( and the beginnings of rust) glass channel back there. I ordered a new gasket from Steele Rubber along with some bedding compound. I've never done this kind of work before, but it seems manageable if you just think things through and take your time.

I was hoping I'd have this car put back together this week, but instead it's coming further apart.

Johnny
1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

2manycars

Quote from: JohnnyRockit on May 11, 2020, 08:24:58 PM
Well, I naively assumed the trunk leak I had was coming from the trunk seal, but NO. Apparently, after water testing, the leaks were coming from inside the car, which means it's getting in through the rear glass gasket.

So, today I pulled off all the rear window trim and removed the glass and gasket. I'm glad I did since it was a muddy, debris-filled ( and the beginnings of rust) glass channel back there. I ordered a new gasket from Steele Rubber along with some bedding compound. I've never done this kind of work before, but it seems manageable if you just think things through and take your time.

I was hoping I'd have this car put back together this week, but instead it's coming further apart.

Johnny
It's just as well, Johnny. If you hadn't gone after the issue now, who knows what kind of further damage would have been done. At least now it is managable. You'll get it fixed just fine. :)

Air cond repairs on my car have morphed into removal of the nose, engine, and trans along with the entire climate control system, which required a full restoration. Everything started leaking, massively, and the under hood area was deteriorating, on an otherwise decent survivor car. I'm going to start a thread in the restoration section soon on my endeavors.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
My Special One:

R Pope

Installed new door strikers with the proper nylon bushing. Never knew the bushings were gone/needed and my doors always rattled. Learned about them on the fabulous forum. My doors now close nice a tight!

Cadman-iac

Well it's more like what have I done for my Cadillac than what I have done to it. I've been busy fixing up my gooseneck cargo trailer as a temporary storage room for the parts for my car until I can get my new garage built. I got it from my dad after he passed away, and it's always had a problem with the ramp/tailgate, and yesterday it finally got to the point that I couldn't get it closed. One of the springs was broken, so today I found a new set and also got a new solid shaft for it. After cutting the old stuff out, I had to drill a hole in the side to get the new shaft installed. This was because the brackets were welded in place from the factory instead of being bolted.
But it all turned out great. I can raise the ramp with one hand now, and the shelving I'm installing is just about done.
I figured that I better get all the pieces together in one place so if anything happens to me, then at least my wife or son won't have any problems finding anything.
I've got a ton of parts yet from my dad's old business stored in it, and I've consolidated them to one side to save space.
  Hopefully this is just going to be a temporary situation, but it will make it easier for me once the new building is done to find all of my car. I didn't realize how much of my car I had scattered around my old garage and stashed in other places until I tried to gather it all up in one location.
Here's a picture of the inside of the trailer with the shelves. I've still got about 3 units to finish installing, then it's just a matter of getting the parts into it.
And one of the door spring assembly.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Peter Cornwell

I parked the '41 Cadillac out front on the 8th May as my small tribute to remember it was 75 years ago that day that the war in Europe ended, VE Day. I then took it for a drive around the small town I live in here in Great Britain to see the street parties that were happening for the same celebration.
Kind Regards
Peter
England
Peter
England
1941 6267D convertible
1952 6267X convertible

jaxops

Quote from: Peter Cornwell on May 13, 2020, 02:01:38 AM
I parked the '41 Cadillac out front on the 8th May as my small tribute to remember it was 75 years ago that day that the war in Europe ended, VE Day. I then took it for a drive around the small town I live in here in Great Britain to see the street parties that were happening for the same celebration.
Kind Regards
Peter
England
Nicely done sir! I had an uncle in Thorpes Abbot (100th Bombardment, 8th Army Air Force) who survived a shootdown over Munich and landed safely in Switzerland.  I too had my 48 star Naval Ensign hoisted with British and French flags on the staffs for V-E Day!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

jaxops

Finished my tuneup on the 1956 yesterday adjusting the timing. It's finicky but running better!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

JohnnyRockit

I cleaned up the channel where the rear window goes and then meticulously cleaned all 24 trim attachment clips that were gummed up with sealer.

Now I just need my new window gasket to arrive.
1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

2manycars

Quote from: JohnnyRockit on May 13, 2020, 05:53:51 PM
I cleaned up the channel where the rear window goes and then meticulously cleaned all 24 trim attachment clips that were gummed up with sealer.

Now I just need my new window gasket to arrive.
How was the steel? All good?
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
My Special One:

2manycars

I'm just about set to do the engine pull on mine. Got the pipes off (only broke one stud), starter out, converter disconnected from flex plate. Took the intake off because that is where I am going to attach the lift chain. Not pulling it with a carb plate, nope. Intake ports looked wet. I bet valve seals are leaking.

All I need do now is disconnect the motor mounts and fuel line, and remove the bell housing bolts. I should have it out tomorrow.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
My Special One: