News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

74 Eldo, Rochester Quadrajet 4MV

Started by danjarrett1, April 26, 2024, 10:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danjarrett1

Who make the best carb rebuild kit for a Rochester Quadrajet on a 74 Eldorado? Mine is due for a rebuilt. Any suggestions! I have been told not to accept a kit that has black rubber accelerator pump seal...ethanol will eat it up. Blue seal made from neoprene or some other agent is more desirable
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

TJ Hopland

I have not had issues getting them from Napa.  I don't recall what color the pumps have been.  I have tried kits from the 'high end' places like Daytona and didn't think it was that much better than the usual kits.  The Daytona was on a Carter, not a Qjet.

Quadrajets often have wear issues in the throttle shaft bores that cause vacuum leaks and issues with the choke and fast idle.  You can buy a bushing kit to do it yourself that has a special drill bit that gives a person without a mill a decent chance of success.  I have not done that myself because I'm lucky enough to have a good shop within a reasonable distance.       
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

timer2

I've had good results ordering kits from Mikes Carburetor. He sent the Daytona valve in the kit for my '54's 4GC and never having installed that type was skeptical but it really made my 331 idle like never before. That valve replaces the needle and seat. Also bought his kits for Carter WA-1's and a kit for my '61's AFB and all worked out well.  T.Irvin

danjarrett1

1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado