News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

66 devile water pump replacement

Started by Frank g, June 08, 2023, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt6666

I put a new sender from rockauto in my 57 coupe deville...after 40 some years it now reads hot.Checked with infrared thermometer...temps are normal so putting old sender back in.

Frank g

Hi guys happy labor day !!! UPDATE on my 66 deville ... so after burping my radiator with a kit my caddy is temp wise running around the half mark on gauge but it goes up to 3/4 s but most disturbing is when I shut car off the temp gauge needle burys past the H on car temp gauge ...what the heck is that?? I use my i.r. gun and get Temps of 175 to 190 usually around low 180s ...any thoughts ?? I miss when my gauge sat below a 1/4... I found out I was running a 160 thermostat during that but have the correct 180 in car ...thoughts please and thankyou again and God bless you all and the USA !!

dadscad

Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

fabbrofour

When I replaced mine on my 67 429, I couldn't get a good seal where the inlet pipe to the pump is. The nipple was severely pitted. After the 2nd attempt my neighbor (tool and die maker) bored out the nipple, cleaned up the pump inlet and pressed in a new nipple. Problem solved. Just a heads up on something to consider.

fabbrofour

I had the same gauge reading hot issue. Heat gun didn'tconfirm. Dascad is absolutely correct. Lecctriclimited will provide you with the correct thermostat.

dadscad

Quote from: fabbrofour on September 04, 2023, 09:45:19 PMWhen I replaced mine on my 67 429, I couldn't get a good seal where the inlet pipe to the pump is. The nipple was severely pitted. After the 2nd attempt my neighbor (tool and die maker) bored out the nipple, cleaned up the pump inlet and pressed in a new nipple. Problem solved. Just a heads up on something to consider.

I had a similar repair on the crossover nipple on my 63 390. The nipple was cleaned up and a brass bushing was pressed on it. That solved my problem with the typical leak at the pump. I did use two o'rings instead of one for insurance. .
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille