News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

what class should a Cadillac Station Wagon enter?

Started by JerRita, January 20, 2013, 08:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerRita

Hi all we are planning on going to the 2013 GN with our 1987 Cadillac Station Wagon The car was coach built from new as a station wagon on a commercial chassis Original title says station wagon Should we go into touring, modified or professional? The car was built for a private family not for professional use and yes it is modified It has fold down rear seat, 3rd child's seat 2 way tailgate modified rear bumper I'd like to get your opinions a picture is posted on our profile Thanks JeRita
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

C.R. Patton II

Hello Trapani Family

Wonderful to read that you will be attending and bringing your car to the Boston Grand National.

You stated that your car has a commercial chassis therefore it should be in Class P99 or T99, which is Commercial and Professional Vehicles through 1999. Take a look at the 2013 International Membership Directory page 63. Try to objectively assess if your automobile should be in primary or touring class.  This should be a tool for class selection unless it should be considered as a senior.

I look forward to viewing your beautiful Cadillac.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Davidinhartford

Jerry,   There wasn't a rear wheel drive commercial chassis after 1984.   The rear drive cars that were made into Hearse and Limousines at this point were made from production Broughams.   These cars were ordered with a "Coachbuilder/Livery Heavy dutyPackage"  option code :R1P  and the "Coachbuilder Delete Package", option code V4F.   

The Coachbuilder Delete package (V4F) removed and gave credit for:  Full padded vinyl roof, Sail panel lining,  Rear reading lamps,
Assist straps on back of front seats, closed in rear window,  Vinyl bodyside moldings, Opera lamps (wiring retained).  All V4F cars were made with an 8.5" ring gear for durability.

The Coachbuilder/Livery Heavy Duty Package (R1P) contained:  Heavy Duty Front and Rear springs,
Heavy Duty Front and Rear shocks, Heavy Duty Steel Wheels (970 KG Capacity), Heavy Duty Cooling,
3.23 Rear axle ratio,  8.5" Ring gear, High Ouput Generator (105 Amp) and Heavy Duty Transmission Cooling system.

The purpose for the delete option was to remove items that a coachbuilder would not need in a conversion, ie: the entire rear roof and backglass for a hearse.  No rear seat in a hearse, so no need for rearing lamps or seatback assist straps.   As the body was lengthened by the builder, they had to add longer side moldings, so the factory ones were deleted.

Cars made into a Limousine were ordered with the Coachbuilder/Livery package but did not need the Delete package.   But a car being made into a Hearse would get both options.

I don't recall which coachbuilder you said did your wagon.   Cadillac had started a "Master Coachbuilders" program that required conversions be done to GM standards.   So if your wagon was made by one the the certified coachbuilders it may have the V4F option code on the build decal.  But it may not.  The wagons were made on a standard chassis (not stretched) but a Master Coachbuilder would most likely have just ordered all their cars to be converted with the V4F package.  The passenger wagons were made in small numbers and often at a particular buyers request.  So many times a buyer would pick out a particular car off a dealers lot and have the dealer send the car out to be converted.  So these cars would not have the coachbuilders option.

But I digress.   The point I was heading to was the fact these cars will have a regular VIN not a commercial Chassis VIN , as they are made from a standard car not the special lengthened commercial chassis that used to be available for Hearse and Limousines.

So there is no need to park your wagon in the Commercial Class.  Modified class would be more correct.   

But from as I have seen first hand at CLC Grand Nationals,  people do pretty much what they want.     I was at the Grand National ten years (or so) and watched a guy drive onto the show field in a 1968 Cadillac station wagon and park on the beginning of an isle of beautiful 1930s Cadillacs.  The car looked like it was just driven across country.  Unwashed and filthy, the interior rear seat and rear compartment filled with bags, boxes and debris.     I was flabergasted.   I had driven my immaculate 74 Calais from CT and told to park in the spectators lot outside as they didn't recieve my registration in time.     I asked a passing Meet coordinator why this car was allowed on the field looking a mess and parking in the wrong class?  Why wasn't it in the Modified, commercial or not-judged area?    I was told that they didn't want to "offend the owner" or make trouble.   

So there you go.

JerRita

THanks I do not who did the conversion In replacing parts over the years it does have the 105 amp alternator and the HD cooling system Where would the codes be in my VIN or on a tag somewhere else JeRita PS the car is definetly touring class grade my VIN is 1G6DW51Y9H9733515 Does that give any clues? The car is Cotillion blue w/ blue standard leather interior

Walter Youshock

I'd ask Carl Steig or Paul Ayers.  It's not a commercial car per se but it's not a stock Brougham, either.  Hate to see you get penalized because it's in the wrong class.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Davidinhartford

Option codes would be on the built sheet (under a seat sometimes) or on the body decal which is usually under the spare tire cover on on the underside of the trunklid.    But being a conversion to a wagon it could be anywhere.

Another way to get your cars info is to email the people at http://www.compnine.com/vid.php with your VIN and they can get you a whole report on it.

76eldo

On converted vehicles there should be a sticker on the front drivers side door edge.  May be missing?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

JerRita

Thanks for the replies I tried the VIN decoder no luck it said it wasnt in the data base Ill look at the door sill thanks again all

Davidinhartford

Quote from: JerRita on January 21, 2013, 09:15:44 PM
Thanks for the replies I tried the VIN decoder no luck it said it wasnt in the data base Ill look at the door sill thanks again all

My VIN on the 07 DTS wasn't listed either.    So I emailed them the VIN and they did enter it and told me to try again.   It worked.    Of course that was when it was a free service and you could enter as many VINs as you wanted.    Now I see you get one free try and they want you to sign up for the service.