News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Vintage of Lasalle Transmission?

Started by pandph, June 04, 2010, 02:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pandph

Can anyone tell me the vintage of this transmission?  The only numbers I  see on it is "125" cast into the gearcase.  It is for sale (best offer over $100).  Thanks for any help with identification.   Paul Hokanson
Paul Hokanson

Jeff Maltby 4194

41-53 Cadillac side shifter thats been converted to a top shift. Does the yoke slip on or does it have a nut holding it ?  
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

pandph

The yoke slips on.  Picture attached.
Paul Hokanson

Jeff Maltby 4194

The price is right (cheap) either way. What shape is the vent on the right-upper side look like, straight or bell shaped ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

aertex

Will this hook up to a '37 Lasalle bellhousing? disregarding overall gearbox length

thanks 
Alan

Jeff Maltby 4194

I'm not an expert on these tranny's even though I own 2 of them. Call Northwest Transmission in Ohio (937 442-2811)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jeff Maltby 4194

Seems to me, I remember an article written in an early 70's CLC mag about this same topic ?  The only way to tell the years on 41-53 was via the vent style ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

pandph

The vent cap looks like your first picture.  Does that help?
Paul Hokanson

Jeff Maltby 4194

Mine came out of a 51 Miller hearse with oem Cad blue paint on it as yours . This means they came out of a 49-53 cad ohv, while my other has the oem green paint from a 41-48 flathead. If we go by the style of the vent, then this solves an age old discussion ?

Great post.

Thanks
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

pandph

My transmission was in a '52 Cadillac and I was told it was a LaSalle trans.
I was also told that Cadillac did not offer a stick trans that year.  Is that true?
Paul Hokanson

pandph

So would you say it is a 49-53 Cadillac trans??
Paul Hokanson

Jeff Maltby 4194

Seeing how the last year of Lasalle production was in 1940, many today have misconstrued the legacy (hot rodders dream tranny) of the last true floor/stick shifter (1937 ) for many a decade . All Lasalle/Cadillac standard trannys from 38-53 were side shift.

Here's pictures of a 37 lasalle stick and 38-40 trannys so you can see the difference from 41-53 and yes, 1953 was the last year for the standard tranny. Notice the end of the tail shaft is straight without the bulge the 41-53 tranny has.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

pandph

Jeff

Thanks for all the comments.  I gather it's a 49-53 Cadillac trans that was originally a column shift.  The linkage on mine made it a floor shift (when the stick is snaped into the linkage).  Do you know anyone that would be interested in purchasing it?  I was asking $100.  I am located in Girard, PA which is about 10 miles West of Erie, PA.

Paul Hokanson
Paul Hokanson

pandph

1952 Cadillac transmission with linkage for floor shift.
Best offer over $100.  Located in Girard, PA.

Paul
Paul Hokanson

Jay Friedman

I would be interesed in buying it; the price is right, but I live in Georgia and it is heavy, so shipping would be expensive enough that it would no longer be worthwhile.  I will you be going to Hershey in October.  If you are also going and would be willing to deliver it to me there, maybe it would work.  Email me directly.

Jay Friedman
jaysfriedman@yahoo.com
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Tom King

Hi,
Do you travel to NYC or Philadelphia?
Please remove the cover and send me a picture of the gears.
Thanks
1 609 397-0161

pandph

picture attached
Paul Hokanson