News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

Parts back from chrome plater

Started by 1937 LaSalle coupe, June 17, 2011, 04:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hi everyone. Just got my '37 LaSalle vent window back from the plater. He had to remove the upper bracket that the window pivots on. Can someone share their successful way of re-revitting or screwing the bracket to the frame? Thanks... John Lehman... CLC # 26365...

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Solid aluminum rivets work good for putting all of the hardware back on these vent window frames. They are shinny and don't rust.  I don't remember where I bought them.  At the time I got a selection of sizes.  Maybe McMaster-Carr or Restoration Supply Co., CA.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Don Boshara #594

Restoration Specialties www.restorationspecialties have a good selection of tubular & split rivets on page 197 of their catalog. www.restorationspecialties.com/2009%20Catalog%20ebook/2009%20Catalog%20ebook.pdf
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

ccp49

Just got my window frames back, too.  Same issue - what type of rivets to use in putting the frames back together, and where to get them.  Also, should I be looking for a rivet tool or use an anvil and drift to pean the rivets into place. 
Have you had any luck with your lasalle windows?

Dan Barbieri
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Don Boshara #594

Also, if you're near a good hardware store they might have nickel plated rivets that will work. I've seen them at my local Ace.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hi Dan and Don. I did get my rivets from ACE Hardware. Just clamped my center punch in vise and with a drift was able to seat the rivet very tight. Probably tighter than original rivets. It does take 2
people to do this job. I am happy with the way they turned out.... John Lehman... CLC # 26365...