News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1979 DeVille - Brakes?

Started by 0maha, December 09, 2019, 12:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0maha

Hello again, everyone!

Some may recall that I picked up a 1979 Coupe DeVille back in August, thanks to a great lead that I got here on this forum to a CL ad in Michigan. As it sits right now, she has about 54,500 on the clock.

Haven't done anything to the car yet, but that's about to change. I rarely take it out. Mostly it sits in my storage bay.

Last couple of times I took it out, I noticed increasing brake pedal travel and increasing softness. Saturday I popped the cover off the master cylinder, and it was quite low. Topped it off.

When I returned it to my storage bay, I noticed a decent amount of fluid on the floor, where the left rear wheel sits.

My assumption is I've got a leaky wheel cylinder.

At roughly 55k miles, it is safe to assume she still has the original brakes, or would you expect that she's had at least one brake job by now?

I'm inclined to do a full brake job on all four wheels. Think its worth changing out the (non-leaking) right side wheel cylinder while I'm in there?

FWIW, my general philosophy on this sort of thing is that my time is more valuable than the price of parts, so "as long as I'm in there", I'd rather refresh everything.

What about front calipers? Would you pull them, clean them, put in a rebuild kit, or just leave them? I see reman calipers on Rock Auto at prices that seem ridiculously low. Worth considering?

Any opinions on where to get parts for this car? My problem is I don't have anywhere to work on this indoors, so I'm looking at a driveway job. I don't want to have to leave it jacked up outdoors for a week while I'm waiting for parts to come in if I can't get them locally.

Any advice would be most appreciated! Cheers!

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

The parts are READILY available just about anywhere since for the most part all components of your braking systems (front and back) are the same throughout the GM line on all makes.
As far as what needs replacement I would humbly suggest you look first. At your mileage it is highly likely that at some point the brakes have been done, in fact probably more than once so I would check drum wear, (rear) and front pad wear.
Yes, I would change both side wheel cylinders as well as both sets of shoes, and while you are at it at least the front pads.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

0maha

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on December 09, 2019, 12:54:47 PM
The parts are READILY available just about anywhere since for the most part all components of your braking systems (front and back) are the same throughout the GM line on all makes.
As far as what needs replacement I would humbly suggest you look first. At your mileage it is highly likely that at some point the brakes have been done, in fact probably more than once so I would check drum wear, (rear) and front pad wear.
Yes, I would change both side wheel cylinders as well as both sets of shoes, and while you are at it at least the front pads.
Greg Surfas

Appreciate the info, Greg. Thanks!

Did a little digging around, and it does appear that pretty much everything I might end up needing is in stock somewhere locally. That makes this a much easier proposition.

All I need now is a halfway decent day to dig in!

dealer1

I would replace everything including the lines and hoses. Brake fluid breaks down and eats everything from the inside.You dont want to take a chance.  I just finished a 73 cutlass that had 10k miles on it only. Everything looked beautiful and a line let go on a roadtest.

TJ Hopland

I would doubt rears had been done at that mileage but you are gonna need shoes if they got soaked with fluid so it doesn't really mater.   I would do both sides.   I would also do the axle seals as along as you are there. 

Good advice above about doing all 3 hoses.   

I would buy new pads and calipers for the front but if things look good and the pistons retract easily may just leave em alone and return the new ones unused.   Don't forget on those you are supposed to repack the bearings when you do brakes so pick up a new set of seals with the rest of your parts.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

My 79 has had ALL the lines replaced, with non corroding stuff like
stainless steel.  The calipers and hoses have ALL been replaced
TWICE over my quarter century ownership, no brake problems now. 
Bruce Roe

0maha

Appreciate all the replies.

I like the idea of replacing the lines.

Also has me thinking if there are other things I should be doing while I'm in there.

I have a bad case of what I've heard described as "shipwright's disease". Hard to know where to stop once you start.

35-709

"shipwright's disease"

Severe, rampant and epidemic disease associated with the car, boat, and airplane hobby world.  Money seems to allay the symptoms somewhat but not the disease.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 0maha on December 11, 2019, 03:37:39 PM
"shipwright's disease".
Never heard of that Disease, and I am a Shipwright of old.   Started as an Apprentice in 1964

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

;D  Click on this link, Bruce, for several stories about this dreaded disease.  You've probably got it but never had a name to put with it!

https://www.google.com/search?q=shipwrights+disease&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS857US857&oq=shipwright&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0l4j69i61j69i60.6824j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Seems to have British roots but is now found everywhere.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

0maha

Thought I'd circle back and update this.

Ended up doing new calipers/cylinders in all four wheels. I could have probably gotten away with leaving the fronts alone, bot both bleeder valves were hopelessly frozen. Ended up snapping them both off, so went ahead with calipers/pads/flex-lines in both sides.

Also decided to drop in a new master cylinder just because. The old one had a small leak at the base.

The result is wonderful. Rock hard pedal, and better stopping power than my 2005 Silverado.

Thank you all again for the advice!