News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1976 Cadillac Eldorado Mirage pick up

Started by Buzz61, September 29, 2014, 12:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz61

Just signed up again, i had a 1979 Cadillac Phaeton Western Saddle Edition #18 which i sold a couple years ago now i have found a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Mirage pick up here in Detroit and bargaining for a good price, the car is in rough shape and is missing the left front fender and doors it has the 500ci engine intact and the front wheel drive suspension is intact.   There was only 234 made and cost $9000 more /or the conversion, i dont know how many are left so i hope i can get it for a good price, i will keep you posted......

76eldo

I have MINT doors and fenders for you, but I am near Phila PA/

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

James Gaffney

I really was wondering how many were made of the Eldorado Mirage by Tradional Motor Works. When I bought mine, the plate on the dash said it was a production prototype. Before I bought it I had only seen the Mirage based on the Coupe.
1994 Fleetwood
1985 Fleetwood 75
1981 Seville Opera Coupe
1981 Fleetwood Coupe
1981 Fleetwood 75
1978 Eldorado El Deora
1978 Eldorado Franciscan
1976 Eldorado Mirage
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1976 Fleetwood Castilian
1973 Eldorado  El Deora

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

All the Factory authorized "Mirage" conversions were done on Coupe deVilles.  The Eldo conversions were "one-off" conversions.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

J. Skelly

I looked at it last year.  It had even more junk piled on it, so I couldn't see the data plate.  It didn't look Mirage quality to me, but I'm no expert.  I thought it was a probably done at a local body shop.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

R Winchell

I have quite a bit of info re; Mirage trucks built by Traditional, but show no Eldorados built. Records are a bit sketchy but it appears that around 206 trucks on coupe de ville bodys were built, and 56 Castilian wagons were built under Cadillac supervision.
Caribou however built trucks from Eldorados, Lincolns, etc but none of the Caribous were built with Cadillacs approval.
I have copys of original sales brochures from both Traditional and Caribou if anyone is interested for a nominal copying fee.
         Bob Winchell  ...rwinch5418@bellsouth.net...

The August 1998 Self Starter has an article written by the (then) Guru of Mirages. Don Joy was one of those devotees that really did his homework, and had two show quality Mirages.  In the article he states the closest actual production numbers was 104 made in 1976.  It was a $7500 dealer cost to which the dealers (and they were the only conversion authorized by Cadillac and sold through the dealers) added their mark-up, resulting in an at least $9000 option to a $9000.00 car.  By comparison (according to the article) the Caribou conversion cost $2-3000, and the company (Caribou) would convert any model (of Cadillac or other car), new or used.  It was not a Cadillac authorized conversion.
By the time I "got up the gumption" to go after one, I called and unfortunately Don had passed away.  I spent quite a bit of time talking and communicating with his wife, Joy, and fortunately she was as well versed in the technology as he had been.  It started a 15 year quest and I ended up with my '79 "Paris".  A copy of the Mirage conversion done to the downsized '79 Coupe deVille.  It's a work in progress, and I really am enjoying bringing it up to snuff.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

R Winchell

I agree, around 104 Mirages were built in 1976 and 102 in 1975 were built. I have had several over the years and now keep a registry of sorts of known Mirages and Castilians that are still alive and well today.
Most have the vin numbers and some known history which may be of interest to a current owner...
The only visual difference from 75 and 76 was the Mirage script that was added to the sides of the front fenders in 76.
However many 75 owners went back to traditional and stuck the 76 script on their 75 trucks.
Gordon Collins wrote some of those articles in the old self starters and is still alive and well living a southern California.
   Anyone who would like to add their vehicle to my registry is encouraged to contact me.
                      Thx Bob Winchell #21880  Marietta Ga

James Gaffney

I was looking through my paperwork on my Mirage.  There was a plate on the dash that said,

Original 1976 Eldorado Mirage 2 (in Roman numerials) Production Prototype
                                    Built for Brooks Cadillac
                                        6l47S60191743
                              Traditional Coach Works LTD.

In the advertizing I have seen, it looks exactly like the water colored drawing of the Eldorado version.
1994 Fleetwood
1985 Fleetwood 75
1981 Seville Opera Coupe
1981 Fleetwood Coupe
1981 Fleetwood 75
1978 Eldorado El Deora
1978 Eldorado Franciscan
1976 Eldorado Mirage
1976 Fleetwood Castilian
1973 Eldorado  El Deora

James,
Not that yours might not be a very nice car, the only "official" Cadillac authorized conversions were none using Coupe deVilles.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

James Gaffney

In 1976, my old partner Elmer Charping bought a cream colored Mirage and had it delivered to Texas. Also a gentleman named H.A. Binion also bought a triple red Mirage. At the time I thought Man, are these guys Strong or what.  In our community of around 40,000 people at the time, we also had at least two 1976 Eldorado convertibles, a 1976 Talisman, besides a strong number of Fleetwoods, Eldorados and Coupe De Villes. The most outrageous Cadillacs were the ones that came to town on payday weekends. The pimps drove the El Deoras and the Moloneys. Those were different times.
1994 Fleetwood
1985 Fleetwood 75
1981 Seville Opera Coupe
1981 Fleetwood Coupe
1981 Fleetwood 75
1978 Eldorado El Deora
1978 Eldorado Franciscan
1976 Eldorado Mirage
1976 Fleetwood Castilian
1973 Eldorado  El Deora

James Gaffney

Thank You for the clarification. I always thought of them as an expression of the times, outside of any regard to authority. Just as bad as the fashions of the day. That moment in time, when excess was normal for a subculture. I always think of the men that worked for those shops, such as Gene Winfield. I also think about how the line gets blurred with companies like ASC. The American Sunroof Corporation not only produced the El Deora on their own, whose style can be debated, but also the Biarritz for Cadillac, where the work was done in their shop.
1994 Fleetwood
1985 Fleetwood 75
1981 Seville Opera Coupe
1981 Fleetwood Coupe
1981 Fleetwood 75
1978 Eldorado El Deora
1978 Eldorado Franciscan
1976 Eldorado Mirage
1976 Fleetwood Castilian
1973 Eldorado  El Deora

James Gaffney

I finally found some corresponding proof about the Eldorado Mirage in the book The Legendary Custom Cars and Hot Rods of Gene Winfield by David Grant. In the Acknowledgments David Grant talked about working with Gene and Andre De Stefanis in the prototype department on a one-off 76 Cadillac Eldorado pickup that was never finished at Traditional Coach Works in Chatsworth, California.

I also found reference in the section about Andre De Stefanis.
1994 Fleetwood
1985 Fleetwood 75
1981 Seville Opera Coupe
1981 Fleetwood Coupe
1981 Fleetwood 75
1978 Eldorado El Deora
1978 Eldorado Franciscan
1976 Eldorado Mirage
1976 Fleetwood Castilian
1973 Eldorado  El Deora

Rich S

Here is a link to additional information about mid-seventies Eldorado pick-up conversions:

https://barnfinds.com/strangest-ebay-listing-ever-1977-eldo-mino/
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

BJM

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on December 16, 2014, 10:10:55 PM
All the Factory authorized "Mirage" conversions were done on Coupe deVilles.  The Eldo conversions were "one-off" conversions.
Greg Surfas

One off by whom?  The original poster has not come back on, that I can see.  Could the Eldorado conversion above be from Caribou?  Like the red one I located in Tennessee? 

Or did Mirage do unauthorized "one offs" on Eldorado chassis? 

Even though Caribous were not authorized by Cadillac Division, apparently they are recognized by CLC and generally though to be quality conversions.  From what I have read.

35-709

According to the link supplied in Reply #13, a brochure copy there lists Continental Coachbuilders, Ltd, Inc. , 14895 NE 20th Ave., No. Miami, FL as the builder of at least some Eldorado pickup conversions.  Once again, this MAY BE an example of all Cadillac pickup conversions bring lumped under either the Caribou or Mirage name, by those not knowing any better, eventhough someone else may have built it.  I do not know if Caribou or Mirage ever built a pickup conversion on anything other than a Coupe DeVille donor car, but Eldorado conversions obviously were built --- by Continental Coachbuilders and possibly others.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2