News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Chrome door lock knobs don't fit

Started by MickeyCaddy, February 23, 2024, 04:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickeyCaddy

Well, this is disappointing. For my 1955 series 62 sedan, I ordered four (4) chrome door lock knobs from Caddy Daddy, guaranteed to fit "1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 Cadillacs".

The knobs arrived today, and the diameter of the threaded hole on the bottom is twice what it should be. The knobs simply slide on and off, and flop around on the threaded lock rods.

Has anyone had this experience? Can't imagine how this could occur.

Michael Chanslor
CLC member number 29849

Clewisiii

On the left are the metal chrome lock knobs from my 1961.

On the right is a set of chromed plastic lock knobs that was supposed to be a correct aftermarket replacement. They are nothing alike.
IMG_20240223_180953821.jpg

Here you can see how far the correct knob should thread to the rod.
IMG_20240223_181217163.jpg

Even if the aftermarket would thread on, it would have to go on a long way due to it's increased height.
IMG_20240223_181146545.jpg

The threaded shaft is a 10-24

IMG_20240223_181607185.jpg

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

MickeyCaddy

Clewisiii, thank you so much. This is valuable information that I couldn't find anywhere else. The pictures helped a ton, and now I understand what I'm dealing with.
CLC member number 29849

MickeyCaddy

Does anyone know if 1955 Eldorados and Fleetwoods were shipped with chromed metal door lock knobs, but entry-level Series 62 sedans (like mine) came with cheap-feeling plastic knobs? I've been unable to learn what the factory configuration was; and unable to find any chrome knobs that fit my car.

After the first set of chrome door knobs I bought didn't fit, I returned them and bought several samples from various suppliers, including a few from different years. They all fit the same as in the pic I posted above: the hole was almost twice too big.

I then bought a "Nut & Bolt Thread Checker (Complete SAE/Inch and Metric Set) - 26 Male/Female Gauges - 14 Inch & 12 Metric", but none of them even came close to fitting the lock rods in my doors.

When I acquired my '55, I bought a set of black, cheap-feeling, semi-soft plastic knobs which screwed right on. I think I paid $10 – $15 for all four. But I wonder if those are even threaded; after turning them down to the proper height, they can still be turned more but they don't get any lower.

My Dad worked for GM and was given a new Buick, Oldsmobile, or Pontiac (his choice) every year, but I can't remember exactly what GM door lock knobs were like back in the '50s. The samples I purchased look and feel familiar to me, probably because some of them are similar to GM cars of the 1960s. None fit my car.

I'm at a dead end; wondering if anyone has an idea. The cheap knobs I have work, and no one has commented on them, including the Oppenheimer movie crew; but to me they cheapen the feel. My '55 may be the least-expensive 1955 Cadillac, but many folks have commented about the beauty of the cabin.

Thanks for reading!

Michael Chanslor
CLC member number 29829
CLC member number 29849

Roger Zimmermann

The parts list say: 1946 to 58: #4633370 Chromium, used with manual door lock in 1958
There is a long list of lock knobs in colored rubber, coordinated with the interior trim.
To solve your problem, if you have access to some machines: turn or take a screw going into the chrome knobs and do a bore and use a tap so the knob can be screwed on the actuator.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

I got a box of spare chromium buttons that I could check/measure for you. Think they all came off of '56s. Clay/Lexi

Lexi

Come to think of it, the '56 Series 75's I have seen had colored plastic door buttons but the '56 Series 62s that I have owned all had metal chromium buttons. Clay/Lexi

MickeyCaddy

If it's not too much trouble, could you do a quick measurement? It's confusing; the knobs I bought from C-Daddy in Vegas state "Replaces part # 4633370", but the pic I posted shows that they're unusable. The seller kindly refunded my money, but told me "We don't get it - we checked these on our cars here and they fit perfectly."
Thanks in advance.
CLC member number 29849

Lexi

Quote from: MickeyCaddy on May 05, 2024, 11:10:47 AMIf it's not too much trouble, could you do a quick measurement? It's confusing; the knobs I bought from C-Daddy in Vegas state "Replaces part # 4633370", but the pic I posted shows that they're unusable. The seller kindly refunded my money, but told me "We don't get it - we checked these on our cars here and they fit perfectly."
Thanks in advance.

I will pull the box. Records show I should have 22 of them in chrome. They would all be vintage as I pulled them from parts cars myself, and got others from a buddy who did the same. Not reproductions. My '56 Limo has the hard rubber or plastic ones. The chrome ones I have look like the one in your photo that shows it sticking up above the window trim. Hope mine are longer  :)  Is it possible that your threaded pins have changed with those of a longer reach and different diameter? Think I got some door pins and actuator mechanisms. Will pull one of those as well if I can find them, and check the thread pitch and fitment. Might take me a day or two. Clay/Lexi

dn010

I apologize to jump in on this thread, but does one know where I might find the little ring that goes in the door for the lock knob to ride down on?
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

alzink

I had the same problem with my 55
Believe it or not I found some black plastic escutions at my local hardware store in those hardware variety boxes. I had to slightly open the OD of the opening then everything fit perfectly

Lexi

MickeyCaddy, I have not yet had an opportunity to go to my storage and check for those buttons, but have not forgot. Hope to get there by the weekend. Life has been throwing curves at me lately. Clay/Lexi