News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Rear Wheel Install, '47 Fleetwood 60 Special

Started by isuras2, October 03, 2023, 12:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isuras2

I'm trying to reinstall the wheels onto the vehicle and it appears there is interference between the axle nut and outer fender where the tire gets hung up against.  The rear wheel shields are removed.  Any suggestions as to how to install the wheel, also how to install without scratching the outside or inside of the tire?

Thank you.
R. Swerczek
'47 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Julien Abrahams

How is the vehicle lifted? Is it on a car lift, on jack stands? If it is on jack stands, and the jack stands are under the rear axle, the axle is pushed upward too far to be able to get the wheels on.
Put the jack stands under the frame (car needs to be jack up pretty high) and let the rear axle hang down. Then you can install the wheels. It is a tight fit. I had the same issue on my '54. I think that the rear wheel wells are just a bit narrow. On my '67 I did not run into this issue. Good luck/ 
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

isuras2

Quote from: Julien Abrahams on October 03, 2023, 03:06:20 AMHow is the vehicle lifted? Is it on a car lift, on jack stands?

The Jack stands are under the axle.  I'll change them to the frame.  Thank you for the insight.  I never would have thought of that being the issue.
R. Swerczek
'47 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Roger Zimmermann

At best, you will have to lift the frame from one side, like you would do by replacing a wheel with the bumper jack. This method lower the wheel more, so you will remove/install the wheel(s) easily.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101