News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Stromberg Carburetor Help

Started by isuras2, October 21, 2023, 11:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isuras2

When I was starting/running my '47 Fleetwood this morning, gasoline was leaking out of the carburetor.  The carburetor is a Stromberg Aerotype 382427 205-14B.  It is coming out of the hole on the driver side above where the fuel enters the carb.  (I would attach a picture, but can't attach one via my phone or computer).
Why would this be happening?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
R. Swerczek
R. Swerczek
'47 Fleetwood Sixty Special

V63

Speaking Generally, it's probably the  needle and seat associated with the bowl float.

a contaminant is keeping the the needle from sealing

or the needle was dry too long and stuck open in the seat (old stale fuel) or the float is 'heavy'  with fuel (bad float)

it could be an adjustment of float level.

Sometimes a 'tapping' of the casting might initiate an easy fix.

Past that, Anticipate removing the top of the carb for cleaning and adjustment.

harry s

In some cases there is a fine screen type filter in the housing where the fuel line connects. It maybe clogged or not allowing for a tight seal of the line. Did this just start or had some work been done just prior to the leak?
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

isuras2

Quote from: harry s on October 21, 2023, 09:17:49 PMDid this just start or had some work been done just prior to the leak?
This just started today.  It started and ran fine last time I ran it.
This smells like old fuel, like really old fuel.  The fuel in the fuel tank is not old.  So I'm assuming this has been in the carb for years (probably since mid-70's when it was initially stored).
R. Swerczek
'47 Fleetwood Sixty Special

V63

You really do NOT want to run the engine on stale fuel because it will seize the valves in the guides.

Because the old fuel is  heavier 'condensed' adding fresh lighter fuel will only ride on top and not dilute.