News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Spoof story about designing the 1959 Cadillac

Started by DavidB50, April 22, 2024, 12:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidB50

Hi

I have previously read a funny spoof story of "the night they designed" the 1959 Cadillac.  There were bits about sending out for bottles of whiskey and a group of men all egging each other on with wilder and wilder ideas about how to best respond to Chryslers latest designs. Ideas like: "let's put 4 bullets on the front grille" then quickly evolved to "damn it! make it 60 bullets". 

I would like to find this story again but can't remember anymore, I'm afraid.  Can anyone help?

Thanks
David

59-in-pieces

David,

There is another story, that when the designers showed off the 59 to the Brass, the Brass said lower the fins and proceed.
After the Brass were gone, Harley Earl said to the designers - don't touch the fins - go to production.

Have fun,
Steve B.

S. Butcher

billyoung

There was a semi soft cover book written many years ago called Cadillac Eldorado, it has three red 1950's Eldorado convertibles on the cover and the whole book is filled with interviews with the designers. I highly recommend it.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

There are many stories behind the 1959 Cadillac design and its fins. GM designer Dennis Little's version is this:

When the design was nearing completion, Harley Earl was asked to stop by the studio and give it his final approval of the clay mock up. Apparently he'd almost always have some criticism to make or order some small change no matter what. In the case of the '59 fins, he said they should be an inch lower. The studio didn't agree. Instead of trying to persuade him, they raised one of the fins one inch. When he returned, to see the "lowered" fin, he said, "That's perfect."

On a side note, the fins on the Series 75 are indeed an inch lower than they are on standard models. I've never been able to find out why. A shame that nobody ever thought to ask Dave Holls when he was still with us.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute