News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rear Brake drums

Started by Upnorth, April 21, 2024, 09:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upnorth

Good evening everyone I am trying to remove the rear brake drums from my 47 series 62

I was wondering if the drum and hub are a one piece unit or the drum comes off separately

I just thought I should  check before I started wailing on the drum with my hammer.

Thank you Al 

J. Russo

I had to use a wheel puller to remove the rear drums from my '41
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Upnorth

Hey john thank you does the drum come off separately or is the drum and hub one piece

Thank you Al

Roger Zimmermann

Drum and hub are one piece, unfortunately for you. The change came for the 1949 model.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Here's my wheel puller.

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

TJ Hopland

Its a keyed taper kinda like the flywheel on a lawnmower engine? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Upnorth

Thank you everyone for your help
The pictures from mike helped me a lot fortunately as a tool junkie ( no cure unfortunately)  I had the right style of puller and managed to get one removed.

the information shared on here is invaluable to me thank you

Al

Lexi

Certified tool junkie here as well. I really like Mike's puller. Think I got one here very similar by Grey Tools. Clay/Lexi

Lexi

Lexi

Check this out, Grey Tools, Canada, probably 1970s. Clay/Lexi

TJ Hopland

I just noticed those don't look like handles, they look like where you are supposed to hit it with a hammer.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, and you can also hammer on the end, once the screw is tightened.   This can shock the taper into letting go.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Lexi

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 22, 2024, 08:15:20 PMYes, and you can also hammer on the end, once the screw is tightened.   This can shock the taper into letting go.

Bruce. >:D

Yes, and the end of mine looks like it has been severely beaten over the years, even slightly damaged, but the rest of it is in surprisingly good shape. Clay/Lexi

harry s

You're not supposed to "try this at home" but it is much less violent to use an impact. It is also important to keep the threads lubricated.   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum