News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Received another scam message today

Started by cadman59, April 08, 2024, 01:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadman59

Today I received another scam message as a reaction to my wtb topic. Be warned...

Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

Big Fins

I wonder if the general public, including thieves might just be locked out of threads like the For Sale and Wanted forums.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Carfreak

Likely starting in May, non-members who aren't eligible to post will be prevented from sending Private Messages and these scam attempts should not occur. 

If persons don't post their phone numbers or emails in Buy / Sell posts and without being able to send PMs, non-members won't have access to contact details either. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

smokuspollutus

I received the same message.

Is there a feature on here to report a spam account to a moderator?

A quality post floor/review prior to being able to PM is common in almost any forum today. These people send PM's because they have less exposure and are more likely to nab a victim without anyone else around to call them out on it.

There's no reason, paid member or not, why someone with 4 posts should be able to send PM's.

J. Russo

Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

jwwseville60

1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

smokuspollutus

Looks like you have to report the individual posts themselves, not the user. Ironically I got a bounce back that my IP address had reported too many things in too short a time frame. Have to wonder if our friend Bernard had any such inconvenience trying to come here and scam. Based off his post history, seems like someone has already replied to him. Who knows who replied via PM.

Just crazy to me that people can join and just start sending messages.

The "paid only so the scammers go away" is a lame excuse. Buy/sell is one area that should definitely be open to the public if any area should be. What if a club member is looking for something a non-club member legitimately has to offer for sale? Soon they'll be no way for that person who may not be a car person to get in touch with us short of forking over money to some site they never heard of. Would we rather the Cadillac/LaSalle end up on Facebook marketplace and sold to some scalper? Or what if a club member wants to sell something and a non-member is willing to pay top dollar? You'll never hear from them or might hear from them too late once you've already brokered another deal.

A quality post floor with an sandboxed introduction forum can solve these problems almost on autopilot.

But again no matter what happens there's no reason for someone with 4 shitposts who probably has an IP address from Bangaloo to be PM'ing people on this board.

The Tassie Devil(le)

This scammer has been banned, and the posts deleted.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Question??
Why do those scammers always refer you to another contact person??
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Dave Ventresca

i received the exact same message. Dave

Jacklasalle

I received the same thing today.
Jack H

TJ Hopland

Are there going to be sections that can't be viewed by non members once that policy goes into effect?   It seems reasonable that sections like for sale would not be.   IF you want everyone to see your ads there are plenty of other places you can post them.   I would think being limited to members should reduce the scams.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Stefan Bartelski (CLC Webmaster)

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 09, 2024, 11:19:41 AMAre there going to be sections that can't be viewed by non members once that policy goes into effect?  It seems reasonable that sections like for sale would not be.  IF you want everyone to see your ads there are plenty of other places you can post them.  I would think being limited to members should reduce the scams.
Right now the plan is to make all forums read only for non-members. If you feel the For Sale/Wanted should be excluded from that access, please suggest it to the board. Technically it can be done, as we are doing so for admin only forums.

Stefan
Stefan Bartelski

webmaster@cadillaclasalleclub.org
470-253-4725

signart

Quote from: sbartelski on April 09, 2024, 04:32:49 PMRight now the plan is to make all forums read only for non-members. If you feel the For Sale/Wanted should be excluded from that access, please suggest it to the board. Technically it can be done, as we are doing so for admin only forums.

Stefan

That would be a great idea. You only have 18 non club member ads listing vintage Cadillac parts in the For Sale section on the FIRST PAGE of this forum.
Not that vintage Cadillac parts are rare or anything. LOL

...and as of now the Club has 23 members in the Parts Wanted section looking for parts on only the FIRST PAGE.
So this tells me that club members needing rare parts for their vintage Cadillacs are going to be depending on the few Club members that participate on this forum to supply the parts no longer available that the active forum members offer to provide, which by my count are the majority.
Art D. Woody

Bryan J Moran

It's to make it look authentic. One person is recommending another person, so it seems chummy and correct.
CLC 35000 in number only