News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

74 Coupe deville wont crank

Started by Kevions74coupe, November 23, 2022, 05:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevions74coupe

I have a 74 coupe I drove to the bank turned it off and it wouldn't start for a few hours only the lights would come on I thought it was the starter so I replaced it but still only the lights come one but it doesn't even click when you turn the key please help

CadillacFanBob

I would look at your shift lever linkage, like shifter linkage not going all the way in park, bushings and grommets, usually just wear out and sometimes break.

Grommet part # 3975131 (rubber 1/2" I.D.) Maybe able to find one in Dorman "help" section of rubber grommets that may work.

Bob

EDIT: Here are some on e-bay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114930404693
Frankfort, Illinois

signart

In addition to above, try starting in neutral.
FIRST try your headlights to see if they are bright. If not bright or very dim suspect your battery, then possibly alternator, but most important battery connections - CLEAN and TIGHT.
Good Luck, report back. You will find many to help here.
Art D. Woody

Roger Zimmermann

Check also the positive cable going from the battery to the starter motor. It could be good looking but inside the insulation the copper is oxidized. With a cold motor the current flow is sufficient, but no more with a warm engine.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

V63

A particular issue with 1973- 1974 Cadillac models with this kind of issue is the seat belt interlock system.

It would not allow the car to start if the seat was occupied but not belted.

There was an override button Underhood on the firewall, small red button.

Often folks would fasten the seat belt first and then sit on top 🤣✅