News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

carburators

Started by Cadillac Tim, March 06, 2006, 10:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Tim

Heh,

Im new to this so bear with me.  I have a 62 with a 390.  Looking for a 3 two barrel set up to replace the 4 barrel.  Think it came stock on something older.  Any help in finding one is appriectiated.  Manifold too!

Cadillac Tim

Fred Garfield 22310

Here you go --

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/59-Cadillac-complete-3x2-Tri-power-Intake-Carburetors_W0QQitemZ8044406519QQcategoryZ36474QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/59-Cadillac-complete-3x2-Tri-power-Intake-Carburetors_W0QQitemZ8044406519Q

5 days left in the auction. You may have to break your piggy bank.

Just a suggestion, Tim, but if youre not a good speller (and a lot of us arent) always check your spelling before you search at ebay motors. Its carburEtor.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Cmon Fred,

The correct spelling is Carburettor.    But, we know Americans cant spell.   Like, Colour, Aluminium, etc. ha ha.

I wouldnt be surprised if it originated from the words Car, and Burette, as the first people to attempt to supply fuel to an engine, probably resorted to a Burette that they had handy in the chemistry lab.

Thank God it wasnt a Truck that was invented first, or we would be saying Truckburettors, or, in the case of an English inventor, a Lorryburettor.

Bruce,
The Tassie devil(le),
60 CDV

Fred Garfield 22310

I think I also saw the distributor that mates to the tri-power. It should still be on auction there.

Fred Garfield 22310

LOL! When an American says, I saw her off, hes referring to fond farewells at the train station. But when a Brit says this, he means something entirely different. The British are masters at making the deadly sound sweet, eg. Special Air Service (Look, deary, another wedding gift arrived by Special Air Service this morning!). When I really want to feel like a knuckle-dragger, all I have to do is listen to the oratory of John Geilgud or Alastair Sim.

Fred Garfield 22310

Pulled the Oxford English Dictionary off the shelf. Just had to know where the word, carburettor comes from. Turns out it referred to any device that forms a compound from carbon and some other element.

As in Union Carbide?

Yes!

Carburet = Carbide = carbon compound.

According to the OED, first known use of carburettor in this sense occured in The Morning Star, Sept 21, 1866.

At last, I can sleep.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Fred,

I still like to think that my reasoning seems a better one.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Philippe M. Ruel

Sorry Bruce, Julius Caesars carrus (chariot) did not use carbo (coal) ;)

French carburant (fuel) and carburateur were first used in 1857, relating to gas rather than liquid fuel.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Philippe,

I still think that my reasoning sounds a lot more fuelable.

I agree that Julius Caesars carrus (chariot) did not use carbo (coal), but it did carryus (when two or more people were carried), and real horsepower was used to pull it along.   And, the Horses were fed by hay, or other fodder and definately not coal.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Rhino 21150

I always thought the word was carbonator since it helped turn fuel into carbon dioxide.....