News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1989 Eldorado Biarritz Air Suspention Probem

Started by SharkwestNYC, December 06, 2022, 05:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharkwestNYC

I posted a weeks ago regrding my non-working air suspension on my '89 Eldorado.  Today my mechanic told me the compressor is no longer working and there are no work around or substute parts available.  The air shocks were replaced about 5 years ago and I've put very few miles on the car since then.  I find this hard to believe. 

I received a really great work-around suggestion from the Forum when I made my initial post a couple weeks ago. I'm told substitute air-compressors are available for all other 1989 Cadillac models, just none for the Eldordo.  With the non-working air suspension the car sits low in the back.  I'm posting a photo to hopefully illustrate this problem.

Richard Merton #32294 Not a valid attachment ID.

James Landi

I should think you'd be able to find an exact replacement somewhere in America at a "recycle year"... I am aware of several iterations of the auto level control systems, and,overtime, the design changed.  The ones on the early to mid 80's are really bullet proof, and they are electronically controlled to go on, to level the height, to blow off too much air, and if there's an air leak, to shut off after 3 minutes if the pump runs continueously. I think those compressors are still very much available at re-cycle yards, and if they are not entirely compatible, some kind of control, even by you in the cabin with a  momentary on button, could work to keep the car level and appropriate.  Hope this helps James

SharkwestNYC

Thanks for the suggestion.  I am begining to think I need a fresh eye on the suspension problem as my mechanic swears the compressor isn't available and he says he has tried the junk yard route and while parts are available they probably don't work. I tried to post a picture yesterday, but it did not work. (

Richard

TJ Hopland

89 was still under the hood right?  I know sometime in the 90's they moved it to under the car near the rear axle.

Functionally I don't think there was really any difference in the compressors from 78-90's.  It was just the physical layout and perhaps electrical and air connections so it really should not be that big of deal to make something work as long as you are not going for judged show quality. I have had success mixing and matching parts to get things to fit and work.  An example was I had issues with one where the mounting brackets were different and the black canister (dryer) was a different length and pointed a different direction.  Bracket was easy to swap over as was the canister so when I was finished the 'new' unit looked and fit identical to the original.

As far as I know they all get 12v applied to run the compressor which raises the car then somewhere there is a 12 solenoid that vents air which lowers the car.  Earlier ones I know the solenoid was on the compressor assembly, possibly later they put it somewhere else?

Overall the compressors seemed to be pretty reliable and didn't seem to be that common of a failure point.  What was always the major failure point was the combination level sensor/control module which as far as I know the same concept was used till the end.  Sensors and modules were different shapes and sizes for different models and years but always not especially reliable or serviceable and I don't think ever made by aftermarket.

The modules job was to contain the actual level sensor that was connected with a linkage to the rear suspension.  That sensor sent a signal to the internal circuit board which then went though a delay buffer sort of thing to prevent bumps from causing the system to try and adjust.  If the module determined that the high or low condition was real and not just a transient it then sent a signal either directly to the vent/lowering solenoid to bleed off some air pressure or to a relay which then sent power to run the compressor which raises the car. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Firstly, the system on an '89 is LEVEL RIDE. Air SUSPENSION is a completely different animal which the car does not have (and be thankful for that).

There should be a test lead wire somewhere around the compressor. When the wire is connected to ground the compressor should run. Rarely does the compressor motor fail in these so make certain that is the case before searching for a replacement. If faulty compressor is confirmed, search eBay for "1989 Cadillac Level Ride". I found several including new aftermarket replacements.  I'm sure the same compressor was used for multiple years and models but first do some research to confirm fitment.

Also part of the system is the rear level ride sensor in which failure in these is common. If this is the case, that will not be an easy item to find in working order.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

Oh ya forgot to add that if most of the time the load in the car is more or less the same you can just buy the manual air line kit for aftermarket air shocks that has a tire valve on it so you can manually fill or lower the level.   Monroe part number for the manual fill kit is AK18 and the price ranges from $10-20. 

If its mostly just you and maybe a passenger the level doesn't really change much so the manual fill works fine.  If fairly often you have 4 or 5 people in the car plus cargo in the trunk you do need to make adjustments and if going from 1 person to 5 is common that is where the auto system really comes in handy.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason