News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Janice's 1974 Persian Lime Firemist Eldo Convertible

Started by hornetball, March 11, 2019, 06:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornetball

Quote from: DeVille68 on December 29, 2019, 03:45:49 PMHow does the carpet texture (loop, or cutpile?) compare to the original style?

I can't discern any difference.  Mine is cutpile (OEM for '74).  The green hue is slightly different although it could also be sun fading on the original.

MaR

hornetball

Finally getting to the point of putting large parts together.  Carpet in (very happy with the ACC product, fit like a glove).  Door and side panels in.  Rear seat in (with functional light monitor).

"Never Dull" sure works well on Aluminum!

Next up is the dash.  After that, the front bench.  Sure feels good to be putting things back together!

MaR

Looking great! I hope to be at the point you are at in the foreseeable future...

hornetball

Upper dash reassembly.  Lots of little lights to check with the ohmeter.  In general, I've found the lightbulbs don't burn out, they just get a lot of resistance buildup from corrosion in the socket.

Fit modern 4ohm speakers for the radio upgrade.  The OEM wire mounting wouldn't fit on these speakers, so I used safety wire instead.  It worked well.  The speakers fit into the car with plenty of room to spare.

Upper dash in!

Working on radio wiring.

Testing of the caution lights revealed that my oil pressure switch is stuck open.  I have a socket for the switch, but the switch is so near the block that I can't get the socket over it.  Any hints?  Do I just need a better (thinner) socket?

MaR

I have a socket that fit my oil pressure sender so you just need a thinner socket. I ended up replace almost all of the little grey and black bulb sockets on the warning lights and the instrument panel. I only found one burn out bulb.

hornetball

Haven't made as much progress as I hoped.  Putting the dash and interior back in has been quite the puzzle.  But, happy to report it is all in and working with no parts left over (the labeled-baggy method works after all)!   8)

One bit of unplanned work, I rebuilt and lubricated my power seat transmission.  The solenoids were kind of weak and would sometimes engage/sometimes not.  With a good cleaning and fresh grease, the power seat works perfectly now.  I meant to take a picture of the disassembled transmission because it was pretty cool looking.  But, I forgot.  All in all, not difficult, just takes time.

Also, I was able to get a thinner walled oil pressure switch socket.  New oil pressure switch works perfectly.

MaR

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

hornetball

Quote from: 35-709 on January 05, 2020, 10:02:26 AM
Ready for a first-in-class at the next CLC GN!

If MaR comes, I'll be happy with second.

guyrobert

Are those the original seat belt sleeves? If not would you know who reproduces them?
Thanks in advance!
1979 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance
1979 Coupe De Ville Phaeton
1957 Eldorado Biarritz
Robert Simpson

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: hornetball on January 05, 2020, 10:08:10 PM
If MaR comes, I'll be happy with second.

You're not competing against each other - you're competing against the judging sheet, so you can both get first if you meet the required number of points to qualify.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

hornetball

Quote from: guyrobert on January 06, 2020, 07:43:10 PMAre those the original seat belt sleeves? If not would you know who reproduces them?

They're original.  Unsure if they are reproduced.

hornetball

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on January 07, 2020, 10:32:11 AMYou're not competing against each other - you're competing against the judging sheet, so you can both get first if you meet the required number of points to qualify.

I didn't know that.  I do need to make it out to one someday.  My comment was really a tongue-in-cheek compliment of the amazing work MaR is doing.

MaR

Quote from: hornetball on January 07, 2020, 10:49:11 AM
They're original.  Unsure if they are reproduced.
I have found similar pieces but nothing exact. Mine are are chewed up and not usable but I do have one that is intact enough to copy. The issue with 3D printing that part is material selection. Semi ridged and ridged plastics are easy but that part is fairly flexible so to print that in a flexible material that is not only durable but dyeable is not something that I know about yet.

guyrobert

Thanks for the feedback on the sleeves, mine are shot in my 79 Phaeton and I have found nothing close in the aftermarket and any parts cars that come up have the same problem...
1979 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance
1979 Coupe De Ville Phaeton
1957 Eldorado Biarritz
Robert Simpson

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: hornetball on January 07, 2020, 10:50:36 AM
I didn't know that.  I do need to make it out to one someday.  My comment was really a tongue-in-cheek compliment of the amazing work MaR is doing.

With the work both of you are doing, both cars are deserving of a first in my book.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

hornetball

The Tassie Devil(le)

Heck, I would give both of you first places, without the requirement to take them anywhere.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon