News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Janice's 1974 Persian Lime Firemist Eldo Convertible

Started by hornetball, March 11, 2019, 06:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaR

Quote from: hornetball on January 22, 2020, 01:47:37 PM
Let me know when you have them.  Every one I've ever touched in a yard crumbles in my hands.
I have two nice flexible ones I got from the junkyard and I bought an NOS one that is crumbling...

hornetball

More progress.

Old Air Products built me new hoses using my originals as patterns.  This is now a catalog item for them.  The system held a nice vacuum for a couple of days so I charged it with R134a (note, I'm at ~1000' elevation, so 28" of vacuum is about all I can get here).  I needed to jumper the thermal fuse and Old Air Products VIR Eliminator pressure switch to charge from a full vacuum.  That's another nice feature of the VIR Eliminator . . . if I lose the refrigerant charge it will disengage the compressor clutch, probably before the thermal fuse burns out.

I got my font bumper back from the chrome shop and spent most of Saturday putting it back together.  It looks really nice.

Look Ma!  I have a face again!

Driver's side wheel cylinder started leaking, so doing a complete rear brake job.  Shame too, as the shoes that were on the car had plenty of life left but are now fouled by brake fluid.  Fortunately, I had replaced the rear hard lines back in the Spring, so they came right off the old wheel cylinders.

MaR

Now I'm going to have to buy some new AC lines....

MaR

I just noticed that on your car up where the firewall meets the cowl, the seam sealer looks to be crumbling away. That's a common location for water leaks so you may want to pull all that old sealer out and refresh it with some new sealer.

hornetball

Been enjoying the car.  It's a nice, smooth ride that gets a lot of comments.  I'm down to just a handful of odds and ends.  Project for last week was getting the Western's shod and put on the car.  Shook it down yesterday evening.  I haven't put them on a scale, but the Western wheel/tire combination was noticeably easier to lift than the OEM.  They rode quieter and smoother.  I think they look nice.

The centers aren't the original Western hardware.  They were a set that Honest John's scrounged up for me.  They look nice and fit well, but I have no idea what the original application was and I couldn't find any identifying markings.  Anyone know what these came from?

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

MaR

hornetball

DeVille68

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

hornetball

MaR

hornetball

The Tassie Devil(le)

What, no passing?  Or were't you allowed to?

Boy, wish I was there.

Bruce. >:D

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

hornetball

These were low speed "Parade Laps."  The car would need a roll bar or cage to run at speed.  Bruce, the car in front is a Chevy SS -- probably one of the last produced at the old Holden factory.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thought it had the Holden Commodore look about it, with minimum body roll looking at it a second time, but then nearly all cars these days look alike.

Bruce. >:D

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Matti R

Thanks for great story and great photos! Small question: what kind of retainers or clips did use to attach the trim in the place in photo?
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe