News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The end of a 1959 60S

Started by Roger Zimmermann, January 17, 2022, 10:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

Unfortunately, I don't remember if I ever published those pictures which are from the early eighties. The car, a 1959 60S, had a broken engine. As you can see on the pictures, the rear of the car was modified. We, 3 Cadillac fans, decided that it was better to part out the vehicle. I sold most of the parts, even the frame; I still have parts from it. The body itself was crushed. One less, but a long time ago!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Philou

Do you remember (my) Cadillac de Farouk on the ACCF forum?
Did you have the idea to make a copy by cutting the fins?   ;D ;D

Roger Zimmermann

Sorry, I don't remember your post. But I do remember the car as it was bought by a Mr. Zbinden, owner from a GM garage in Bienne. I supplied some rubber seals and wiring for that horror. The base was a coupe; with the roof cut, it was like a whale on the street.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

V63

The engine was broke but the images show the car still turns over 🤣

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: V63 on January 17, 2022, 02:27:26 PM
The engine was broke but the images show the car still turns over 🤣

LOL....Good one !

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

dochawk

Quote from: Philou on January 17, 2022, 12:27:52 PM
Did you have the idea to make a copy by cutting the fins?

is the term for removing the fins from a classic Cadillac, "cadstration"?

::)
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Roger Zimmermann

A word about the people on the pictures: on the first one, there is Frederic Hirt. He would be the first Cadillac Club of Switzerland in 1984. Two or three years later, he resigned and moved away. After that, we never ever heard from him during all those years, which is strange. As I was vice-president during the tenue of Frederic, I inherited the presidency when Frederic left. I keep the job for 3 or 4 years.
The young man behind Frederic is Joël Rochat; he was the guy who removed most of the parts and did the heavy work; he has a small garage near Bienne.
On the second picture, it's me. I'm still that thin, still have all my hair but they change the color!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

I wouldn't mind the color change, but I do wish that I had it all still. This Florida sun sure puts a hurtin' on the skull in the summer.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

cadillac ken

When I bought my '58 Biarritz the fins had been cut off and the quarter panels finished out (decent job).  It was a project car.  I have since grafted a rear clip from a rusty Seville with a seized engine onto the car.

Apparently this was a not so rare "customization" of finned Caddys of all years.  Folks always want something different and what the other guy doesn't have-- no matter how attractive or unattractive the final result is.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Here is a Brougham with the fins cut off.   Done many years before it ended up in the condition it is in when I saw it in 2008.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Sad Brougham! Obviously, there were people who wanted to buy those cars, but hated the fins enough to spend more money to remove them.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

cadillac ken

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on January 21, 2022, 02:42:03 AM
Sad Brougham! Obviously, there were people who wanted to buy those cars, but hated the fins enough to spend more money to remove them.

I'm guessing the fins are cut off from these cars long after they have been driven and almost used up.  Remember, most of these Caddys were almost valueless at one time. 

When I moved to the town I live in now I was talking to a guy at a car show and mentioned that I was looking for a '57 or '58 Biarritz.  He told me: "there was one in the local junk yard" and I asked enthusiastically "really?"  He responded: "oh it's be a long time ago, I think it was crushed several years ago".  Wow, I thought.  What a dose of reality and value as time passes.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: cadillac ken on January 21, 2022, 05:37:41 PM
I'm guessing the fins are cut off from these cars long after they have been driven and almost used up.  Remember, most of these Caddys were almost valueless at one time. 

Well, I'm not so sure but, of course, cannot prove it. As the work done on this 60S was very well done, it was not cheap, but the car could have landed by somebody with skilled body work. On the other side, you are right: after 5 or 8 years, those cars were totally our of fashion and had almost no value.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

cadillac ken

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on January 22, 2022, 03:36:02 AM
Well, I'm not so sure but, of course, cannot prove it. As the work done on this 60S was very well done, it was not cheap, but the car could have landed by somebody with skilled body work. On the other side, you are right: after 5 or 8 years, those cars were totally our of fashion and had almost no value.

Without a doubt, a lot of these fin removed cars were done well.  My Biarritz that had the fins cut off were all leaded up and finished out. As for the valueless issue I was thinking more like 15 to 20 years after the car was new is when these cars were bought pretty cheaply. 

I've had several Porsches over the years.  In the eighties many were modified and body kits were installed.  Now original 911s are very valuable (seeing the prices paid) and most folks would not dream of doing a "modification" to them as was once done-- like when they could have been bought for a song 40 years ago.

Regards, Ken