News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Best Electric Fuel Pump to Use on 1959 Coupe DeVille for "Priming" Fuel System

Started by Supercruiser, January 09, 2022, 07:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supercruiser

Hello All,

Like others here on the forum I have trouble starting my 1959 Coupe DeVille with the 3X2 Carb option after it has been sitting a while.  I guess the fuel evaporates out of the float bowls and lines and the mechanical pump has to "pull" fuel up from the tank which requires a lot of cranking.  I have tried pouring a little gas down my center (main) carb and this does work to get it started but it is a real pain.  I have read where others have installed an electric fuwl pump near the tank under the car with a toggle switch under the dash so after the car has been sitting you can just switch it on for a few seconds to "Prime" the fuel system and start up should be no problem.  The question I have is what is the best electric pump for this?  I know you need a pump that allows fuel to flow through when it is shut off so the mechanical pump can adequately pull fuel from the tank but I have no idea which pump works best for this type of application.  Has anyone done this conversion and can recommend a fuel pump to use on my car?

Omarine

Hi Andy,

i just finished mine today on my 52 which is still 6 volts. Airtex makes one which for me mounted on the frame in front of rear wheel which makes it accessible with fender skirt off. It's toggled to my ignition and it's interoperable with mech fuel pump as in the mech fuel pump cam draw fuel through the electric when it's off, and the Psi and volumes are perfect even of both are running. Mine never went over 6 psi even while running both simultaneously. Also, if pump push rod is worn out and the mech pump wont run, the electric can push through the mech pump on its own without pouring gas down the oil filler neck or any undesired behavior like that.

Cheers
1949 Harley Davidson FL
1952 Cadillac Coupe de Ville
1961 Chevy Impala 2 dr hardtop

Supercruiser

Thanks!  Does anyone have a part number for Airtex or Edelbrock or whoever for the correct 12V pump that allows "pull through" from the mechanical pump?  I tried looking it up online but there is so much information it is overwhelming and I'm an old computer illiterate guy.

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

fishnjim

Be careful, most of these in line electronic pumps require a pre-filter.   If you use in combination with the mechanical pump, that inline filter decreases the NPSH so makes it harder for mechanical to pull fuel from the tank when electric is off.   You don't want to be toggling the electric when your driving to keep it running.
I totally removed my mechanical('58), and installed the "airtex for carbs"*, and it feeds the 3x2 just fine now and self controls the pressure so doesn't overrun the float.   No more priming.  Right now it's a bit more noisy than I was expecting, so not finished as far as I'm concerned.   You have to install other electrical components, like change the oil pressure switch, add relays, etc. to make it work, without the mechanical, so it'll feed when not running yet/key on and will shut off when the motor stops.   It's all described in the installation but not that straight forward with these era cars.   But it's one option.   
I think they guys that use one as a "primer" are just avoiding all the wiring to do it right.
* - I got the number, cost, etc. but not handy, if needed.   
ps: You can install an in-tank type pump too, but a bit more complex with the level gauge.

TomJudd

I have successfully used a n Airtex E8251. Amazon...$30. It allows free flow through when not energized. I mounted mine temporarily in line, just before mech pump under hood. Worked great for priming, even couple times for overcoming vapor lock. For wiring , I ran a long lead into cab glove box, w 12 v cigar lighter accy end. When needed, pulled pigtail out of GBox and plugged in. Already powered 12 v and fused. Temporary but worked well ! Only caveat.... when purchasing a second pump, airtex had changed product vs part #. (carter bought airtex or vice versa.)  Reordered different vendor, got correct unit. You should be able to suck through the pump with little or no resistance. Lazy, temporary, very functional. Correct place for pump SHOULD be near fuel tank. But this has held up well.

dn010

I also opted to install the Airtex pump on my 1957 and get rid of the mechanical one - I put a delete plate over the mounting hole and removed it completely. The pump is mounted on the outside of the spare wheel well near the tank, I can hear it prime but can't hear it once the engine starts. I wired it to the ignition switch so it turns on when in the run position but also wired in a simple switch under the dash for the times I need the ignition to be on but engine off. I needed a pressure regulator to lower pressure for the Edelbrock 650 carb I'm running. I'm also on my second pump, first one only lasted a year but I believe that is because of all the crap the higher power pump was now able to pull from the tank, compared to the mechanical pump. That means at first, the pre filter was getting clogged up so be aware of that. I do carry a spare pump now but my current pump has lasted over a decade so far, even with ethanol gas.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Omarine

I also relied solely on my electric pump for many miles until i had a sudden interruption with my kids in the car. That's when i re installed the mech fuel pump and the electric works in conjunction as needed on a toggle switch.

When the bowl runs dry you have only a short distance and leas than a min if that to pull over safely....

1949 Harley Davidson FL

Supercruiser

Thanks for the information Tom.  You mentioned that you used an Airtex Model E8251 electric pump but that the part number has since changed since Carter took over?  Is E8251 the current part number or is it a different number now?

TJ Hopland

One of the brands when they changed part numbers also changed the style of pump.  Specs are still the same but they went from the clicky type to what I assume is some sort of rotating style.   Didn't make any difference for my application which was a lawnmower but I'm assuming if you are going to try and draw through you need the clicky type?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Omarine

Now that we're on this topic. Does anyone know about replacing the fuel filter on the Airtrx pump? Can it be cleaned out? Or will any 5/16" filter do? The one I found at auto zone will fit but it's more like on of those carb filters. Or does it matter?

Thanks
1949 Harley Davidson FL

Supercruiser

Ok so I spoke with the engineering department at Carter/Airtex and explained my situation and the electric pump they recommended is Carter part number P74021.  $30 to buy it online and it is a flow through design that delivers a max 5.5psi of pressure so I ordered one of these and will use it as a "primer" pump to push fuel up to the carbs after the car has been sitting for a while and to help solve any vapor lock issues that come up as well.  Will let everyone know how it works once I have installed it.

bcroe

Those are recipricating slug pumps, the absolute noisiest.  Bruce Roe

Supercruiser

Thanks for the feedback Bruce.  Good to know but since I will only be running the pump for a few seconds before start up and then shutting it off it shouldn't be a big deal.  Are you aware of a quieter pump that could be used?

The Tassie Devil(le)

The good thing about a noisy pump is that you know it is operating, and as it being a flow-through type, you will realise that you haven't turned it off.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bcroe

I used one for circulating hot water to taps, you could hear it
all over the house.  Perhaps that is fine for a priming pump. 
In that case DO NOT USE A TOGGLE SWITCH FOR CONTROL,
use a push button that shuts off as soon as released. 

I cannot recommend an electric pump for continuous use, should
be a rotary type.  Requires automated shutdown control.  Bruce Roe

Supercruiser

Thanks Bruce.  That's a very good point on using a push button instead of a toggle switch so I don't forget to shut it off!  I will use the push button as recommended.

Daryl Chesterman

This is a chart of Airtex universal fuel pumps and their various applications and parameters.

https://airtexasc.com/media/1178/16-universal-fuel-pump-applications.pdf

Daryl Chesterman

jwwseville60

My 60 Seville has 3x2s.
We used two Facet fuel pumps in line instead of the mechanical one.
On hot days with a return line it also helps with vapor lock.
2 pumps give you reliability if one fails.
Better full throttle response at high rpm.
You GET what you PAY for.

1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC