News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Clicking Sound Dashboard

Started by ELDERDADO, April 27, 2024, 10:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ELDERDADO

Anyone know what causes the regular clicking sound behind the passenger side dashboard on a'72 Coupe?

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Sounds like a defective AC programmer
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

Yep.  It will likely change if you change the temp dial or modes.  May not go away but should change.

Why is it doing that?  You have to go through the troubleshooting process to figure out what isn't happy.  Cadillac Tim wrote troubleshooting manuals for these more recently using normal DIY tools and based on what often fails with age vs the factory manuals that were based of factory tools and being fairly new units.

Do you want your system to work or just stop clicking?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

ELDERDADO

Both would be nice, but I get it. It's old. Like me.
 I click too when I walk. I will try the troubleshoot guides. Thank You.

TJ Hopland

I have had mine rigged up for a while but I seem to recall if you turn the dial all the way down to 60 and put the mode to vent that will reduce the clicking. 

Mine has a bad transducer and amplifier and during the testing I discovered a workaround.  There is a vacuum servo down in the programmer which is the control box down on the ductwork on the passenger side.  If you disconnect and plug the vacuum line feeding that and connect a hand vacuum pump/gauge you can manually control the temp and blower speed. 

Here is Tim's site.  Kinda old school but his contact info is there.
https://cadillactim.com/#manuals       
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason