News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

noco boosts

Started by 34858, March 21, 2024, 12:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi I have a 500cubic in engine on a caddy  will the noco boosts gb 70 jump the battery it is rated at 8.0 liters and the caddy engine is 8.2 liters ,will it start or jump the engine?? has anyone use this before .thanks kenny
Kenny

TJ Hopland

It depends.  If everything is in decent condition and its a nice summer day and the engine isn't 'dead cold' and you just left the lights on or something so you only got half a crank out of it just about anything including those toys will work fine.

Note the vast majority of the time you need to know the often not well published boost mode where the box will output full power no matter what the cars remaining voltage is.  This applies to pretty much every one of those little baby units.  They are too smart for their and our own good and will only 'work' if they sense they are connected in the correct polarity and there is more than about 9v remaining.  Most of them have this boost mode but most of them its a 'secret' sequence of holding or multi pressing buttons,  most don't just have a simple boost button.

Car has been sitting for months and battery is dead dead maybe not recoverable dead then there is zero chance of those little baby units doing any good.  Even a 'dead cold' engine with a so so battery can be a challenge for anything but a proper jump start right that is practically just another set of lead acid batteries.   

Sure these modern battery technologies can pack quite a punch in a small package but even if that energy is in the package you can't get it out through those fairly small connectors and wires and clamps.  Its not just the starter you are trying to run the dead battery will also be trying to charge at the same time. 

If these little things were so great you know to save space and weight the car makers would be using these instead of the big ones but they don't.  I think many newer cars especially ones that have the restart feature use an AGM battery but those are still basically big heavy lead acid batteries.

Where these can work is like a car show or tailgating where you may have doors open and the radio on and the battery just gets too low.  They and most other fairly compact options don't do much for things that have been sitting or have other issues. 

The other issue is how are you maintaining this magic box?  These newer battery techs are pretty temperamental compared to a lead acid battery. You need to carefully research the care and feeding and think about how you expect to use one before you buy.  They don't like to sit fully charged or fully discharged.  They don't like the cold and especially don't like being charged when cold.

If you were to get one I think you would be best to get one that can supply power for other uses so that you can at least somewhat exercise it and know its condition vs something you just stick in the glove box and it may sit for a long time before you need it and it doesn't work.

Oh and I don't think the engine size really has a huge effect on the results.  You see people that struggle to get a side by side UTV started with these just like they do some giant diesel equipment.   Its like I said above, recently running and not full of other issues they and other less than car battery size 'jumpers' as well as the total crap quality jumper cables that are out there today will probably work.       
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Carfreak

Quote from: TJ Hopland on March 21, 2024, 02:28:55 PMOh and I don't think the engine size really has a huge effect on the results.  You see people that struggle to get a side by side UTV started with these just like they do some giant diesel equipment.  Its like I said above, recently running and not full of other issues they and other less than car battery size 'jumpers' as well as the total crap quality jumper cables that are out there today will probably work.       

We've used a smaller version (less amps) to start our 8v71 Detroit Diesel (about 567 cid) without any problems.

For that vehicle, one of the two batteries was on its last legs and we wanted to wait to buy new batteries until the next driving season.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

BigV8

I have the Audew 2000 peak amp jump starter. It has started my '71 Eldorado with the vehicle battery totally bypassed. This unit has other features and comes in a nice hard clamshell case.

https://m.audew.com/Audew-2000A-Peak-20000mAh-Car-Jump-Starter-for-All-Gas-Engines-or-Up-To-8_5L-Diesel-Engines-with-LCD-Power-Display-p-100058.html?rmmds=search
Craig Masterson
CLC Member #29666
 1959 Series 62 Convertible
 1971 Eldorado Convertible