News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'61 Water Pump

Started by ZGJim, March 10, 2024, 05:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZGJim

Getting to know my '61 Deville.  One of the issues I have encountered is a noisy water pump.  After it gets up to operating temperature, it starts to squeal.  Sounds similar to a squeaky belt, but both belts a new and properly tightened.  Removed the belts and when turning the pump by hand, I can hear and feel roughness in the pump.  The pump is marked "rebuilt" on the front of the inlet tube.

Does anyone have experience with replacement pumps?  Which sources are reliable and which ones to avoid?

Thanks
Jim Leach
Jim Leach
'61 coupe DeVille

David King (kz78hy)

There is a great rebuilder in Detroit.  Dan Bailey ‭(313) 530-2893‬.  4706 Detroit St., Dearborn Heights, MI
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

For water pumps, fuel pumps I've used this firm and was always
pleased:
https://arthurgouldrebuilders.parkerspackards.com/

Whatever you do, have your originals rebuilt.  Buying anything
"new" will be Chinese "junk".

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Clewisiii

61 Waterpump and fuel pump rebuilt by Arthur Gould Rebuilders
waterpump.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

SteveB3155

I have to agree Arthur Gould Rebuilders is the place to go for water pump and fuel pump rebuilding.  I'm fortunate enough to live about an hour away and have dropped my stuff off there in person.  They're actually Packard guys, but are great with the Cadillac pumps as well.  Quick turnaround and quality work.
1961 Series 62 Convertible

David Greenburg

Definitely get your original pump (assuming it is original- should look like the one in Carl's picture) rebuilt instead of buying one of the ones with the "all new casting" etc. advertised all over the place.  And if your old one doesn't look like Carl's picture, get a used original core and have it rebuilt.  You really only want to do this job once! And you do want the original pump.

David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

ZGJim

It turns out the pump was an older reproduction.  Had it rebuilt by Dan Bailey at Tri Parts in Michigan.  He did a fine job at a very reasonable price.

Jim Leach
'61 coupe DeVille

Jon S

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on March 10, 2024, 06:40:13 PMFor water pumps, fuel pumps I've used this firm and was always
pleased:
https://arthurgouldrebuilders.parkerspackards.com/

Whatever you do, have your originals rebuilt.  Buying anything
"new" will be Chinese "junk".

Mike

I totally agree. Arthur Gould is the guy.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

SteveB3155

Quote from: Jon S on April 28, 2024, 09:43:14 AMI totally agree. Arthur Gould is the guy.

Funny thing is, the guys that run this business are NOT named Arthur Gould.  They bought the company several years ago.  One time when I dropped a pump off there for a repair, I asked "who is Arthur Gould?"  They said they had no idea!
1961 Series 62 Convertible

Michael Petti

Arthur Gould himself, sold his business and retired as many people do. I think he has since passed away. Never the less, everyone vouches for their quality work, as will I. I went through 4 new fuel pumps on my 60 390 in 12 months of driving. That's about 3 thousand miles. I managed to secure an original A/C core, had Gould rebuild it and had no problems what so ever in the same time and milage. Not even vapor lock.

Jon S

Quote from: SteveB3155 on April 28, 2024, 11:01:35 PMFunny thing is, the guys that run this business are NOT named Arthur Gould.  They bought the company several years ago.  One time when I dropped a pump off there for a repair, I asked "who is Arthur Gould?"  They said they had no idea!

I met Arthur when his shop was in Kings Park, NY. He retired and I believe his son took over the business and moved it to Connecticut. They do fabulous water pump and fuel pump work.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

David Greenburg

I've had both fuel and water pumps rebuilt by the new iteration of Gould Rebuilders and they have held up fine. Another excellent water pump rebuilder is Flying Dutchman.  They specialize in water pumps specifically, and I had them redo my '61 pump recently. They did a great job, although it took a couple of weeks.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special