News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What car did you drive in your driver's test?

Started by Charles D. Barnette, September 01, 2009, 05:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ingler #7799

I drove my Dad`s 39 Plymouth business coupe with floor shift.Only option was a heater. Cost all of $625 in 1939.

jeff1956

My mothers 1994 Chrysler Concorde.....although we did have a 1956 Sedan De Ville in the garage and a 1956 Chevy with a 3 on the tree out in the shop.

Jeff

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Hi,
I used my Grandmothers 1979 Ford LTD, my brother went with me, that was back in 1983.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

Tom Beaver

My dad's 49 Cadillac which my brother and I had hot rodded. High compression pistons, 56 heads, Iskanderian cam with solid lifters, high output ignition, tri-power intake manifold, Traction Masters to hold the rear end down and a reworked hydomatic. 19 MPG on the highway and that thing would haul a---, there wasn't much that would stay with it.  However, the examiner was NOT impressed but I did pass.

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

1962 Ford station wagon, and I passed the first time. 

Geoff:

I have a 59 Cadillac and a 2006 DTS with front and rear bumper assists.  I would much rather take that driving test in the 59.  With gunsites in front and the tailfan in the rear, there is no doubt where the front and rear of the car are located.  The DTS has so many blind spots that it would be almost impossible to park without front and rear bumper assists.  The blind spots created by the modern car designs has to be a contributing factor to why you see so many modern cars parked so far from the curb or the front of a parking spot.

okccadman

My Mom's 1984 Sedan de Ville.  Briar Firemist with matching top, wire caps, and Dark Briar Brown leather. That 4100 lasted over 120,000 miles when she replaced it with a 93 Allante in 2000.

She took hers in a 2 tone green 1955 Fleetwood Sixty Special then received a 57 Ford Skyliner retractable for her birthday!
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

David Greenburg

1960 Chevy Impala flat top that I'd bought 3 years earlier, at 13 to be my "keeper"for when I could drive (paid $160 for it).  I had paralell parking that thing down to a science, and it, like I believe all full-size 59-60 GM cars, was the exact same length as my '59 Fleetwood. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Glen

I took my driving test in my mother’s 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville.  Green with white top.   

I learned how to drive mostly in my shipmate’s red 1966(?) Pontiac GTO with competition clutch.  I supplied the beer money and he supplied the car.  What could go wrong there?  We were lucky the incidents were few; minor and never involved the police. 

The first time I drove a car I went solo.  I rode home with my high school friend who drove a 1953 Hillman.   One day on the way home the car had a flat.  Of course the spare was flat too.  So he called his mother to pick us and the spare up in her new 1963 Ford.  We took the tire to the service station to be repaired, but he dropped his mother off first.  When we got back to the Hillman he realized I did not have a license or any experience.  Because I did not know how to shift a standard; I drove the new Ford automatic.  I was lucky in two ways.  I did not hit anything or even come close to hitting anything; and on the way I saw one of my friends and he saw me.  The next day he said he did not know I had a license.  I told him I didn’t.  The story was all over campus in an hour or so. 

Those were the days!

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Mr Majstyk

I had to get my motorcycle license first, so I used my 1968 Honda 65 sport!
Then, later, I used my Dad's pride and joy, his amazing 1958 Chevy Impala with the 348 and 3-2bbl carb set up.
The inspector was far more impresed with Dad's car than with my driving...but I passed!

guy moore

1960 Buick Invicta 4 door hardtop (flattop) Took the test in July 1961.  My brother took his in our brand new 1964 Wildcat custom 4 door hardtop, I wish I stilll had both of those cars.

jaxops

I drove my aunt's 1970 Plymouth Barracuda (orange with a black top) because it had power steering and power brakes.  Mom's car, a 1974 Maverick, had power-nothing.  I passed the first time.  I answered with a "sir" every time to that PA trooper who probably was a former Marine.

Does anyone else remember the Driver's Ed simulators in PA?  All of the cars filmed were Mercurys, and mostly Cougars.  I loved the rear turn signals that went on one light at a time across the back!  I wish that Virginia had those for my daughters when they went up.  It was a great practice experience before getting out on the road.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

dadscad

I drove my Dad's 63 Coupe deVille. It was June of 64, I was 14 at the time. The car is mine now, and I'm still driving her. She is Aspen white with red leather interior, still sporting the original paint and upholstery, with the exception of the seat covers. About 6 years ago I had the seats re-done in the original pattern. The only chrome I've replaced is the lower front bumper ends. I attached a couple of pictures, one shows the new seat covers.

David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Dave Leger CLC #19256

I drove my 1963 Thunderbird (my 1st car), which I bought for $295.  Good engine and drivetrain, rust like crazy from years back east.

Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

Cadillac1955

BMW 525 i
With 170 Hp  :)
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1955
Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1964 "The Apollo"
Cadillac Conv. 1965

D.Yaros

A 1956 Oldsmobile 88 4-door Sedan was my ride.  A neighbor took me for the test in his car.  I remember running a red light.  Even so, I was given a license!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Dennis DiNorcia CLC 19071

caddykid60

I took my driving test in the family's 1976 Lincoln Town car back in 1984.  The instructor didn't know what to think.  My test consisted of a 3 point hill turn down the street from the registry...nothing else, no questions, nothing.  I let him out of the car, he said, "good luck!" and I left with my mother.
Mike Kelley
1960 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1990 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1991 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Wagon

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I took my test in my parents' 1968 black over gold hardtop Sedan de Ville just like the one ithat is pictured parked in front of a hotel in one of the '68 print ads.  I wasn't able to successfully parallel park the car the first time, but the trooper gave me a second chance since the car was so long. The alternative would have been my dad's '68 Chevrolet pickup which didn't have power steering.

Jerry Puma

My first car - a 1963 Coupe deVille - Benton Blue with a black vinyl roof, in 1973. Bought it from the original owner before I had my license, with 32,000 miles - paid $495.

Jerry
Jerry Puma
1964 Eldorado
1961 Series 62 6-window

P W Allen CLC# 20193

A 63 or 64 AMC Rambler. 3 on the tree, owned by the driving school. In Mass, if you were a teenager, you pretty much forced to do the driving school thing, so you could get a break on the mandatory insurance.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine