News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 FOG LIGHTS

Started by Gary Bakeslee, December 13, 2015, 12:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Bakeslee

I am ready to bolt the fog light assembly to the inside of the front fenders of a 1947 Cadillac convertible. But I have spacers and tapered washers, I don't remember where they go.  Would someone have a bolt on diagram for fog lights?  I would also like a replacement number for the large bulb in the fog light.
Has anyone changed their light bulbs to the halogen bulbs sold by Bill Hirsch?  Do they work?

Gary B.
Gary Blakeslee

Jay Friedman

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Bill Ingler #7799

Gary: My 47 is at my other garage and I can`t remember the set up for the spacers and washers. I will be gone for the next week but if you will email me at  inglerfly@cox.net  in a week if you do not have your answer, I will take pictures. As Jay said the bulbs are 1022 and scarce as well as expensive. $25-40 a bulb the last I saw. Now as far as using the halogen bulbs, I tried the first halogen bulbs that came out about 25 years ago and the following is what I just wrote to Gary Griffin.

The tail, stop and turn lights in this car as you know are bad, bad and bad. When I bought my 47 in 1985 I hung two large stop lights under the back bumper and drove the car for several years with those extra lights. Looked like crap so I took them off. As you know the two big problems with the rear lights are the relatively flat angle they protrude from the fender as well as the thickness of the glass. In about 1990 they were producing, for the Model A Ford, a halogen bulb that could be adapted to fit in the rear tail lie assemblies of the 42- 47. So I adapted a couple of those bulbs to fit. Then I thought I had better check to see if the wiring in the car would safely carry the amps it takes for the bulbs to work. After using a Whitaker wiring guide ,I found to make these bulbs work, I would need 12 gage wire in the rear wire loom instead of the 16 gage which is standard in 42-47 cars. I also found in addition that the 6 volt turn signal flasher would not work as it could not handle the increased wattage needed for the halogen lamps. So out came the halogen bulbs.

I do not know what kind of bulb Bill Hirsch is offering, they maybe just the right bulb for our 47 but you need to know what is the wattage rating for the bulb, then convert that wattage into amps for each bulb to see if the wiring in your 47 will carry the amps. Remember the brake wire and tail lite wires are single 16 gage wires from the connector to where it splits to go across to join the right light which means that single wire from the connector with the dash harness needs to be large enough to carry the amperage generated by the halogen bulb.   Attached is a Whitaker Wiring Guide.   Bill