News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Some friendly advice when RESTORING your car

Started by 60eldo, February 03, 2013, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Im in midst of restoring my 60 Eldorado and have leaned a huge lession,,,when dismantling,,,no matter how bad it looks,,,DON T THROUGH ANYTHING IN THE GARBAGE,,,you may just need that part as a reference or just to take a small clamp or bracket or something off it,,,KEEP IT ALL
Jon. Kluczynski

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Part TWO to that recommendation:

Label EVERYTHING with a tag and take lots of pictures.  Sure, you think you'll
remember "where it went" or what that "dohickey does" -- but will you still remember
in 6 months, a year?  It's doubtful.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

bigdave

I have done several cars over the years and have made several mistakes and learned many lessons. The above posts are right on the money. One simple and inexpensive thing that can make assembly much easier is the use of zip lock freezer bags for hardware and small parts. They are easy to label and they don't cost much so you can use many to keep things separated into smaller groups. Plastic totes also work well for parts groups and hardware. I always like to organize parts in an order of when in the restoration I will need them.

A spiral notebook on hand is also a good idea. Make notes of everything and also a list of parts you will need to replace. A laptop or pc will work but it is also nice to have a paper copy on hand .    Dave

'65 Eldorado
'67 Calais
'81 Coupe deVille
'03 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

Plus, if restoring a vehicle for someone else, don't let them strip the car in your own garage, without you being there to assist.

Happened to me with a '59 Tbird, and I still don't know where two small curved panel pieces fitted, nor does he, even though taking lots of photos, sketches, and copious amount of notes.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Walter Youshock

TAKE PICTURES!!!  LOTS AND LOTS OF PICTURES!  I learned this when rebuilding phonographs (the hard way, of course).  All those weird screws, washers and clips were put in for a purpose, whether it be aligning an ash tray door or for reducing rattles. 

Put the fasteners in your Ziploc bag, label it and upload the corresponding photo to your computer with the same name.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Gene Beaird

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 03, 2013, 08:28:43 PM
Plus, if restoring a vehicle for someone else, don't let them strip the car in your own garage, without you being there to assist.

Happened to me with a '59 Tbird, and I still don't know where two small curved panel pieces fitted, nor does he, even though taking lots of photos, sketches, and copious amount of notes.

Bruce. >:D

Heh, and I'm missing one interior panel that goes in our 86 Mustang SVO I had work done at a shop several years ago.  I'm having a heck of a time finding a replacement. 

And yeah, Zip-Lock bags and a Sharpie are your best friend there. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Blade

... and last: DO NOT throw the 'bad' spark plug into the near by lake when you break down with your motorcycle out of town, you might discover right when you're trying to put the new one in that it was the good plug. You'll have to push your bike miles and miles under the hot sun like my friend did! ... ;D