News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Series 62 Speedometer issues?

Started by Retro_Husky, May 17, 2013, 10:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retro_Husky

Well a while back my speedo quit on my 62 Series. I originally thought that it may just be a bad cable, so I pulled it out and the cable itself is fine. I gave the inner and outer cable a good coat with some white lithium grease.
However now while the odometer works, but still no speedo. I get a loud noise coming from the speedo now and then like its grinding. Would my fear be right in saying that its the that and not the gear in the tranny?

Tim Winsor
1947 Cadillac Series 62
1984 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Glen

The odometer and the speedometer are driven by the same cable, so if the odometer works then everything is good up to and including just inside the speedometer case.  You will have to take it out and open it up to see exactly what is wrong.  Most likely it is a stripped gear. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Retro_Husky

Quote from: Glen on May 18, 2013, 01:36:30 AM
The odometer and the speedometer are driven by the same cable, so if the odometer works then everything is good up to and including just inside the speedometer case.  You will have to take it out and open it up to see exactly what is wrong.  Most likely it is a stripped gear.

Out of curiosity do you know if they used plastic gears or metal back then? Also how easy is it to get the speedo out from the dash?

1947 Cadillac Series 62

Bill Ingler #7799

Tim: To get to the speedo you need to remove the radio. The speedo is held to the dash by 3 attaching points as you see from the picture below. Once the nuts are removed the speedo goes inward and then can be pulled across and out. If I can cut and paste below, I will attempt to bring up from the search section on this site a guide I wrote on removing the radio. Have fun.    Bill

Here is the cut and paste below with some words missing. Oh the mysteries of the computer or maybe it is me the operator.

General Discussion / Re: 47 questions
« by Bill Ingler CLC 7799 on September 27, 2005, 07:45:07 AM »

......  first thing to remove is the radio. It has 2 power wires to disconnect. One for the  ............  dash harness. The other is the main power wire from the ignition switch. Pull straight out on the  antenna............  lead in the upper left back of the radio, pull the 3 vacuum hoses fron the right side of  .the...........  radio. Take the radio knobs off and you will see the  ............  over the radio steams which need to be unscrewed. The radio is  ............  held by a nut to bracket lower right side of radio. The radio goes back and down to come out. I find  ............  easier to drop the radio if I have already removed the sheet metal  ............  Y from the end of the defroster case. After you have the  ............  out,remove the large chrome radio grill from the dash. You will have to disconnect  ............  well as the power wire for the heater/defroster from the ignition switch. You also will find a twist  ............  valves attached to the grill and remove the radio grill. Now you have access to the speedometer. ............  the speedometer cable, pull your light sockets from the speedometer, unscrew the three 10/24 nuts  ............  back and then out through the opening for the radio grill. Now reach back through the opening for the  ............  original wire be very easy handling the old wire. Removing the gages is a time consuming job and just take  ............  time.

Retro_Husky

Quote from: Bill Ingler #7799 on May 19, 2013, 09:58:39 AM
Tim: To get to the speedo you need to remove the radio. The speedo is held to the dash by 3 attaching points as you see from the picture below. Once the nuts are removed the speedo goes inward and then can be pulled across and out. If I can cut and paste below, I will attempt to bring up from the search section on this site a guide I wrote on removing the radio. Have fun.    Bill

Here is the cut and paste below with some words missing. Oh the mysteries of the computer or maybe it is me the operator.

General Discussion / Re: 47 questions
« by Bill Ingler CLC 7799 on September 27, 2005, 07:45:07 AM »

......  first thing to remove is the radio. It has 2 power wires to disconnect. One for the  ............  dash harness. The other is the main power wire from the ignition switch. Pull straight out on the  antenna............  lead in the upper left back of the radio, pull the 3 vacuum hoses fron the right side of  .the...........  radio. Take the radio knobs off and you will see the  ............  over the radio steams which need to be unscrewed. The radio is  ............  held by a nut to bracket lower right side of radio. The radio goes back and down to come out. I find  ............  easier to drop the radio if I have already removed the sheet metal  ............  Y from the end of the defroster case. After you have the  ............  out,remove the large chrome radio grill from the dash. You will have to disconnect  ............  well as the power wire for the heater/defroster from the ignition switch. You also will find a twist  ............  valves attached to the grill and remove the radio grill. Now you have access to the speedometer. ............  the speedometer cable, pull your light sockets from the speedometer, unscrew the three 10/24 nuts  ............  back and then out through the opening for the radio grill. Now reach back through the opening for the  ............  original wire be very easy handling the old wire. Removing the gages is a time consuming job and just take  ............  time.

Thanks Bill. I do appreciate your help!
1947 Cadillac Series 62

47bigcadillac

I don't see the need to remove the radio or anything else just to remove the speedometer unit.

Just unscrew the 3 nuts and the cable,  the unit can be removed from the back and brought underneath the dashboard

I have done this to both my 1947 and 1946  series 62 in order to send the speedometer to a shop for repair.

R. Brandys

1932 355B  5 pass Coupe,  Fleetwood          
1935 LaSalle Coupe  5077
1947 Club Coupe      6207

47SixtySpecial

I know this is an old thread, but WOW. I need to remove my speedo for service. I just laid over the seat with a headlamp and looked/reached in. Without removing the radio, I imagine I could get the speedo out with a nut driver. Getting it back in would be another story. I will remove the radio.
Joe Mark

47SixtySpecial

Bill is right, it will come out without removing the radio. I repaired it and now have to put it back in.
Joe Mark