News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Edelbrock classic series air cleaner on 1969 deville with AC

Started by Mihai Tarţa, May 29, 2013, 04:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mihai Tarţa

I was looking at the Edelbrock classic series air cleaner and I was wondering if there's a way to install them on a '69 coupe deville with AC. Given the fact that the base is not offset like the original, I guess I would have to use an adapter to raise the air cleaner.
Also the base of this air cleaner is flat. How much hood clearance is there with the standard air cleaner?
If any of you had done this or know any relevant info, please share.

Thanks!
1969 Coupe DeVille
1976 Eldorado Convertible

Oradea, Romania

Scot Minesinger

Hi,

I have a 1970 Cadillac.  Sent my carb out to Jet in CA and they did the best job on the re-build after many other attempts.  I'm the fastest 1970 carb changer east of the Mississippi.  So completely understand the desire to use a nice carb.

It is unlikely that the classic look of the Eld carb air cleaner housing will match the Cadillac in appearance.  You may be able to modify it using the base of the Eld carb air cleaner housing and cutting out bottom of stock 69 air cleaner housing and joining the base and original together.  Trouble is if it does not work, both pieces which are not cheap are ruined.

Let me know how it comes out, as it is something to consider.

Good luck,

Scot 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Mihai Tarţa

Thanks for the reply, but I want to keep the Q-jet carb. I only want to install an edelbrock air cleaner.
The problem is that the edelbrock air cleaner's base is centered vs the original air cleaner which is offset.
If I use the centered one it won't fit because the air cleaner will come too far forward and it will hit the AC compressor. I could use a spacer, in order to raise the air cleaner above the AC compressor, but I may have hood clearance issues.
1969 Coupe DeVille
1976 Eldorado Convertible

Oradea, Romania