News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

64 Eldorado inspection for rust

Started by Scot Minesinger, November 02, 2014, 11:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

A friend has asked me to check out a 64 Cadillac Eldorado and I am interested in the normal place rust might be that goes unnoticed and creates buyer's remorse after it is discovered.  Guessing behind rocker moldings (how do you check without removing, or are they easy?) as one place.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

David Greenburg

The rocker moldings coincidentally cover up a lot of the rust hot spots, including behiind the front wheel openings.  I would have saved myself some grief and $$$ if I'd  removed them before buying my '60.  I'm not familiar with '64's, but if they're anything like '59-60, they are quite easy to remove; there are several large screws on the bottom of the car that need to be removed, and then you can unhook the top edge.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

chrisntam

For the exterior at the lower part of the fenders and rear quarter panels, I use a rubber type refrigerator magnet.  When I bought my car, I just knocked on those area with my knuckles and it sounded pretty good (no bondo).  Since then, I did use the magnet and have found one area of bondo, though bad enough to not buy the car.

Oh, and take your floor jack and some cardboard to lay on.   Good, fun stuff!

chris.

And did I see your red '70 in the pics of the Capitol Caddy get together?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

C.R. Patton II

Hello Scot

Great of you to assist your friend.  I concur with the prior statements but I also suggest that you evaluate the interior and trunk floors for rust.  Additionally during my vehicle inspections I  use a Fender Splendor instead of a magnet to assess paint thickness.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Walter Youshock

Also check the front bumper ends.  They fill up with road splash and collects inside the ends, rotting them from the inside.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

russ austin

Look behind the fender dog leg. The fender is a single skinned animal, with a brace behind the skin. You will see any rust. Top of fender, along the bottom lip of the trim. They like to rust there too.
The rockers will be a guess. Take the skirts off, and look at the upper wheel well lip, front and rear skirt mount area's, and the back of the skirt.  Under the trunk, you can see the quarter panel area, and look at the back of the trunk, specifically at the corners.  Around the trunk seal. 
Interior;  drivers foot well, above the muffler, and the kick panel/floor joint, area.    Passenger foot well, and back seat foot well.

I wouldn't allow anyone to remove pieces from my car, so I wouldn't count on taking the trim off. The trim  fasteners are not easily obtained, and if they are original, they will break.
Ask if the rear seat cushion can be removed. Inspect under there too.  Look at the convertible well also.

Pull the sill plates up, and look there.
R.Austin

Scot Minesinger

Thanks guys

Chris, ye my car was there at the Capital Cadillac show last Sunday the 26th of October.  It was a perfect day 70'F sunny, no clouds top down driving day.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Dave Shepherd

Many cars rust the floors in the drivers side foot well, try to get a look there maybe from underneath.