News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recommendation on motor oil.

Started by Miguel Mathis, May 01, 2017, 10:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miguel Mathis

Could I get some of the most recommended types of oil to use when changing my oil?  I have  a 1991 Brougham with 127,000 miles a 305 motor. Thank y'all I appreciate it. I'm due my first change since buying the car.

Dave Shepherd

Any top grade 10/30 oil will work.

EAM 17806

Quote from: Dave Shepherd on May 01, 2017, 10:44:57 AM
Any top grade 10/30 oil will work.
Specifically, what top grade brand 10-30 oil are you referring to in your opinion; conventional or synthetic brand names?  Would you include Wolfs Head conventional or synthetic motor oil?  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Dave Shepherd

Wouldn't that be the owners choice, there must be 10 satisfactory brands with the necessary  SAE and API ratings.

Miguel Mathis

Thank you. I was wondering about synthetic versus regular

Carl Fielding

There are three logical choices. SYNTHETIC , SYNTHETIC , SYNTHETIC. A very synthetic FULL synthetic. Mobil 1 or better . I use Amsoil , but want to find out more about the relatively new Penzoil synthetic made from natural gas. Synthetic. Easier on your engine , and cheaper too due to extended oil changes. Synthetic.  - Carl

cadman56

I have used Phillips TropArtic 10W30 in all my cars for decades.  My 91 Brougham 305 went 197,000 miles before I installed a new GM crate engine with a new transmission. The old engine did not smoke or rattle.  Just changed it out with the new transmission.  Still using the same oil now.  Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Carl Fielding

Apparently synthetic oil is so good that Cummins gave a huge extended warranty to operators of their commercial diesels if they used synthetic oil (that with extended change intervals , and an accessory bypass filter). Maybe I am trying to say , I would rather run an oil which gives 600,000 mile service life in my engines and transmissions , than 200,000. Cheaper between changes of both oil and machinery. Oh , yeah : what is a free overheat margin buffer worth ? I think I would actually pay more for that. But free ? Seems like a no brainier to me ! With respect , I don't know if there is something about synthetic oil that some of us don't understand ? I know that some of us have so much money that wasting it is not an issue , but the wealthy people I know seem to enjoy getting their money's worth. Oh , well. Hosses : I have led you to the water. S-Y-N-T-H-E-T-I-C for the sake of your machinery and wallet.  That boring old fanatic , Cadillac Carl

Miguel Mathis

Thank you Carl very insightful. Thank you.