News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Main and / or rod bearings failure in 1968 DVC

Started by cadillacmike68, May 06, 2017, 06:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

Greg, can you even put Roller Lifters on a 472 without altering the block or heads?

I will check with the rebuild shop to ensure that they did run in the engine at 2500 for 25 min when they first re-assembled it.

If they didn't then I need a new cam and lifters? and possibly cam bearings??
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mike,
Find the noise first. Don't just start throwing parts at an inaccurately diagnosed problem.
Yes the proper roller lifters (as shown) will work in an unaltered block, but you need the correct cam for them to be effective, and for most (less than) 4500 RPM Cadillac motors they are unnecessary.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

chrisntam

My 2002 Avalanche has roller lifters.  Don't all modern engines now use roller lifters?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on February 01, 2019, 10:16:44 AM
Car has been running good since last spring, but I'm hearing a rapping sound again, not sure where from. Not anywhere as loud, but I'll have to have it checked. I ordered one of those oil test kits from Blaskstone.

Anyone who has used these guys before?

Found the cause of the "rapping" sound. Answer is in my latest car follies post:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=156624.msg437548#msg437548
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Here are some crank damage and bearing pics for those who want to see the damage the contaminated oil did to the crankshaft.

The bearing photos shows a good bearing on the left and the spun (or nearly spun) one on the right.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Mike,

That sure made a mess of that Crankshaft.

Never seen one before with such a definite division between good and serviceable, and bad and replacement warranted.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 28, 2020, 08:20:35 PM
G'day Mike,

That sure made a mess of that Crankshaft.

Never seen one before with such a definite division between good and serviceable, and bad and replacement warranted.

Bruce. >:Dv

Hi Bruce.

That one on the left was a goner as well, but it was 2-3 times as thick as the one on the right. The rebuild got all new crank, rod and cam bearings, 2 rods to replace #s 5 & 6, one piston, a serviceable crank (010 over bearings) from RockAuto - probably THE LAST one they ever sent without requiring you to send in yours first. new valve guide seals (stopped the oil usage!!) Cam was still good, and the cylinders only needed a light honing. even with the bearing damage, the engine insides were very clean.

A lot of other niceties were done as well, like new transmission lines (PITA because they were a 1969 set) and a new trans pan with 10 cooling tubes.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike