News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Grand National - less Cadillacs at show field - a developing trend?

Started by Scot Minesinger, June 18, 2018, 09:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Greg:

That was a very nice summary of what had become a
long discourse that drifted from the most obvious
points needing discussion.

You mentioned all of the most important topics so there
is no need for repeating them.

I'll mention just one.  If anyone feels strongly that change
is warranted on any of the items mentioned, talk or E-Mail
your Regional VP about those.  Along with your request,
submit your idea how things might be done better and why.

The Regional VP can bring up these topics at the
semi-annual Board Meetings.  I promise you, they
will be discussed.  That's why the leadership is there
and they do take the responsibility seriously.  I was on
the Board for about 5 years myself and can tell you any
and all concerns are considered topics for discussion.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Cape Cod Fleetwood

As USPSA found out with always rolling the US Nationals across the country, having it in one place every year provided continuity and stability, St. Louis. You can "get" there, its a hub. They secured discounts with Southwest and American for members, with National Car Rental, and of course the hotel, an upscale Holiday Inn. There were no surprises with the ranges since we all shot there before, the host hotel is happy to have a guaranteed 450 people for 6 days every year and is very accomodating. Every one knew their way around, etc. All the local businesses (restaurants, taxi, movie complexes, etc) offered discounts with our USPSA cards. All created by the USPSA Nationals committee. Other than course design, this huge event basically runs itself now. Having to find a hotel, range, make 'connections' annually is a nightmare and sours quickly the most enthusiastic volunteer.

Other than the students returning to classes at the bazillion colleges and universities locally, Boston is simply lovely in the fall. You can get here... from anywhere. And shipping a car here is easy, left to right then north up 95. Rhode Island would be even cheaper, and still within 2 hours to Boston if you have to have that Beantown experience. TF Green is a lot easier to fly into/out of than Logan, but flights are more expensive. And still located on 95 so hauling is easy. And with so many alleging the cost of fuel/being too old to drive/fear of breaking done, etc as reasons not to bring their car, haulers eliminate all of that. Put the car on the truck, jump on your jet, boom.

Going to the USPSA nationals as a competitor is lot easier than bringing a car to the National. Your guns go into checked luggage, a 63 (or is it 64?) El Dorado would require an overweight clearance for cargo... kidding.

Again, I don't know exactly where the largest colony of CLC members are clustered. So Boston could be all wrong. What do I know... I'm just putting forth what a huge org did to increase membership 5 fold and the reasons why they hold their National at the same venue every year at the same time.

Back to my corner....

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on June 20, 2018, 12:17:34 PM

If ALL you want is to "look at the cars," a permanent location is great. But many of our members use this as a base for their vacations each year. So, they want something new to see. The ambient temperature IS taken into consideration by the planning committee. What's been done before is taken into consideration. The hotel location AND amenities are considered. Most first class inns these days have refrigerators and exercise rooms. We had to change the Region's preference for a host hotel for next year because it wasn't up to CLC standards.

Yes, agree and did that at Lake George-family vacation.  Family loved it.  Also did family vacation in DC, adding a week afterwards in NC Outer banks.  Another great vaca.  However, with kids still in grade school, hard to go when school still in session.  Almost reserved a hotel for next year, and realized it's high school graduation weekend, so skipping.   Must be difficult to pick a date with so many possible conflicts, but for those younger members, it's hard to go if not part of summer vacation weeks.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

druby

I personally find Art Archambeault remarks towards Jason Edge's post to be very distasteful towards a fellow club member, whether or not his car was recognized in Jason's post is irrelevant. Jason has been a great asset to fellow club members over the years and his credibility shouldn't be questioned. If something was overlooked, I'm pretty damn sure it wasn't on purpose. And no Art, I don't know Jason on a personal level, and I've never done business with him. I'm just a dues paying member who respects others !
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

The Tassie Devil(le)

To toss my hat into the ring, one suggestion would be to hold the GN every 2 years, as we do in Australia, with a lot of major events, including the Street Rod Nationals.

This way, it would give future participants some more time to save up, and during the off years, they could holiday somewhere else if required, and closer to home.

The cost for a lot of people who want to attend every GN is great, especially for the financially challenged and time poor.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jason Edge

Art, I am sorry. I apologize for the oversight. I was not at the GN and only have pictures and info provided. Yes I do get the Self-Starter but I do not memorize every car from the GN issues.  On the flip side the Self-Starter does not post a picture of every car at the GN. If it did, you would have seen the 63 Custom that I remembered because someone had sent me a picture.  I have inserted a picture of that 63 custom at the 2017 GN below.  Let's move on to the topic at hand. 

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Jason Edge

Not that I could be a wee bit prejudice, but I think a Charlotte, NC GN would be a good "car-centric" location.  With the NASCAR Hall of Fame, Charlotte Motor Speedway, and other auto and racing facilities in the area I think it would have a lot to offer in terms of activities for members.  Charlotte is centrally located on the East Coast and one of those areas where members from both NE and SE could reach without too much difficulty!   My wife and I stayed in an Embassy Suites hotel that overlooked the Charlotte Motor Speedway just a couple weeks before our stay at a very similar Embassy Suites at the 2018 GN in San Marcos, and thought it would be an ideal location.  The issues with Charlotte would be the heat and the fact we have a smaller Region.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Jason, you can't get much smaller than Indiana and we're doing it (for most of us) 110 miles away. You might have just stumbled into hosting a meet. (And we've never done it there.)  I-95 can bring lots of people (and cars) from everywhere and from past experience at the 500 track, if you could get a couple of laps on Charlotte, you'd be turning them away! Marsha Redman is always looking for good sites. Her e-mail is in the book. (She lives in MO.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Dan LeBlanc

I know it's a pipe dream, but I would like to see a GN in Maine along the coast in a small resort town.  These small resort towns have more hotels than you would think.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jason Edge

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on June 21, 2018, 09:39:22 AM
I know it's a pipe dream, but I would like to see a GN in Maine along the coast in a small resort town.  These small resort towns have more hotels than you would think.
Maine is definitely on my bucket list of places to see in the NE.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Re: Major car carriers... Ronnie Hux tried to get them (all the major carriers) for the DC GN and none would come unless there was a "significant" # of cars to haul. One would not consider it due to DC traffic. So, we've tried...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Dan LeBlanc

Maine would be beautiful...AND the perfect location for a driving tour during the course of the event.

What say you, James Landi?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on June 21, 2018, 10:23:28 AM
Re: Major car carriers... Ronnie Hux tried to get them (all the major carriers) for the DC GN and none would come unless there was a "significant" # of cars to haul. One would not consider it due to DC traffic. So, we've tried...

Barry I can understand that if they were looking for a discount on hauling. The carrier would want the cars eligible in one area for pick up/delivery/pick up/delivery. Its possible if a hauler was presented with a guaranteed 100 cars, even though a bit scattered geographically, they'd be inclined to make a deal. Especially given the additional marketing of being "the official car carrier of the Cadillac Grand National", etc.

Otherwise these guys from Reliable to Badlands are in the business of hauling cars. For a price they'll get a car from Montana to the moon. The hauler that fetched my current daily driver that I bought on line wasn't thrilled with its location in Brooklyn. He had to send in a sled to get it then meet the big hauler on the GW bridge.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on June 21, 2018, 10:44:43 AM
Maine would be beautiful...AND the perfect location for a driving tour during the course of the event.

What say you, James Landi?

And Badlands has haulers (open and closed) running up and down 95 twice a week....
mjussayin'....

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

quadfins

I would certainly like to attend a GN in both Maine and Charlotte, NC. I guess it will just take the appropriate regions to take the initiative...

AACA does a Charlotte meet every spring, and they sprinkle meets around the country, too. No reason CLC can't, as well.

Timing is another factor, for those of us with kids in school. I could not consider Las Vegas, in spring, and this year was the same date as graduation. Next year...maybe, but iffy. OTOH! Summer meets can be too hot and nasty, in the south and west.

There is no perfect solution.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

chrisntam

Quote from: Jason Edge on June 21, 2018, 10:08:47 AM
Maine is definitely on my bucket list of places to see in the NE.

We could do a driving tour to Cadillac Mountain and eat lots of Lobster rolls!

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: chrisntam on June 21, 2018, 08:58:55 PM
We could do a driving tour to Cadillac Mountain and eat lots of Lobster rolls!

8)

eh, you mean 'lob-stah'. It goes with a cup of clam chow-dah.
Love the Maine idea, full reciprocity, etc.
Maine is slammed with tourons Summer and Winter, spring and EARLY fall best for that state,
they get a lot of mid-late fall leaf peepers.
August-October are the best months for Maine/NE lobstah.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

59-in-pieces

What about another GN for the poor red headed step-children of So. Calli, any time soon.
Las Vegas doesn't count - it's too hot - not good for us ol'folks and the car paint.
Just say'n.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

David Greenburg

Indeed.  If I didn’t know better reading this thread I would have thought it was a discussion for an  Eastern Region gathering!  Even counting Vegas, the GN’s in this time zone are few and far between. And we actually have nice summer weather.  I’ve enjoyed GN’s like DC and Detroit, but it’s more fun when you’ve got a car there.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

D.Smith

I like the idea of a Grand National in Maine!     That would not just draw from New England but our members from Canada can attend (with their cars) too!