News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 wheel cover crest restoration

Started by MidModCad, June 28, 2020, 01:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

Here's a question on an obscure topic. After 60 years of weathering the crowns, pearls and ducks on my wheel cover crests need repainting.  It's impossible to tell though whether the black and white colors used originally had a gloss, semi gloss or semi flat finish.  The paint that remains looks mostly semi flat, but after all this time that could be misleading.  Anyone know what the correct finish should be?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Dirt and debris would be more likely to become embedded in semi gloss than the shiny smooth texture of full gloss. Gloss would also have been more in character with the rest of the car as well as the era generally.

Full gloss is also used in the reproduction wheel cover crests I've seen, for whatever that may be worth. 

Gloss is the way I would go.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

MidModCad

Ah, so people are going with full gloss. That's helpful - and my preference as well. The ducks thank you.