News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac with 59 Big Fins - NOT MINE!!

Started by PhantomCaddy, November 08, 2020, 07:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Fins

People will create any abomination when they have a lot of spare time and the parts.

A '70 car, with '59 fins and brake/tail lights and '69 reverse lights.  ::)

I had to go look ad the ad, being almost certain the car was in Floriduh! But, it wasn't.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

James Landi

A highly creative approach ... wish the ad included a front end  picture.  Would be interesting to know how all the pieces fit together and how much structural elements had to be added to provide for body pieces from the 1959  to hang on and attach to the 1970. I'm intrigued by the creativity and vision that made this project work as well as it apparently has.  NNo doubt, The pictures are jarring to many of us, and yet, for those not aware, it appears to "pass" for what the designer wanted. Can we get more details?   James

70DeVille

Michael

D.Smith

I'm not sure whether or not to laugh or cry.    A little of both I guess

76eldo

Not as ghastly as I thought it would be.
Very creative.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

The car is listed as a DeVille Coupe, so could it be a Coupe that has had the roof cut off, and made into a nice Convertible?

Funny thing is that the fins conversion actually looks nice, and tastefully done.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

Minesinger needs it in his stable of '70s.   ;)

So is it a '70 or '59?  I'd say its 3/4 '70 & 1/4 '59, making it a '67 1/4.

:D
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

James Landi

THe narrative with the ad states that the car needs a complete restoration, is now painted black, and apparently has been run hard and put away wet. Apparently, at its prime, the present owner enjoyed it and wore it out. So the few pictures in the ad were from a "by gone" era.  So Given the oddity of a one off "clone," his asking price seems  ambitious.  I'm still curious about the front end of the car... profile seems to suggest that the '59 bumper and grill assembly were tacked on, but it's not possible to tell, and I suspect the attempt to "meld" the '70 and the '59" design may be far less appealing when compared with the rear and profile view.     James 

70DeVille

James,
Looks like the front end may be all 1970 Cadillac. From this side view, 1970 side bezels, bumper ends and even the front fender crests seem to be visible. As far as "laugh or cry", I couldn't do that to a '70, let alone a '59.  That said, I had an NOS right side mirror I got from Bob in the trunk of my Spartacus/Double White Convertible for years because I couldn't bring myself to drilling two holes in a gorgeous passenger door. Bob says, "Mike, get over it and put the mirror on." I couldn't do it and sold the mirror to a friend who bought my Brown/Tan '70 Convertible.
BTW, Byzantine/Dynasty Coupe went to a good home.
Michael
Michael

billmorrow

very nicely done BUT he used the wrong fins, probably from a 4 or 6 window sedan.. not from a '59 CDV or convertible..

it is a bit jarring yet attractive.. i think i would have done it differently.. :)
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG
'59 Cadillac 62 Convertible
'70 ElDorado, 98k miles, all original
'96 Fleetwood Broughm, Red, 37k miles
2 - '95 & 1 '92 Buick Roadmaster Wagons

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~

Cape Cod Fleetwood

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

colorado4x4

To quote the SNL character "Dieter" from Sprockets......."I am both attracted and repulsed by this"......

From a body work perspective, seems to be well done, wondering if the '69 and the '70 reverse lights both light up, or why the '69 reverse lights were put there at all.

On a stock '69 or stock '70, the taillight assemblies were removable from the quarter panel, doesn't appear to be the case here as the grafting of the fins becomes part of the quarter panel.
Rocky Mountain Region Membership Chair & Treasurer
1970 DeVille Convertible Chateau Mauve Firemist
1970 DeVille Convertible Lanai Green Metallic