News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Painting cylinder heads

Started by MidModCad, June 01, 2021, 04:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

My '61 is getting an engine compartment fresh up (engine installed) and the heads badly need paint. I'm looking at various ways to block the spark plug holes so I can degrease and paint.  Some people use old plugs with the insulators snapped off to avoid shadows.  Any other ideas?  I haven't had the car long enough to have a used set lying around.

Clewisiii

I used plugs in mine.  I did not break insulators off. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

MidModCad

Did you notice any paint shadow behind the plugs?

Clewisiii

Nothing that would bother me.  But the painting for me is about a four step process, so it gets hit alot.

I painted the parts separate,
I painted the block after heads installed valley pan and oil pan,
Then I painted after the install of intake manifold, and waterpump fuel pump.

I wanted to make sure that I hit everything and the last step covers all bolts and gaskets.

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Big secret if you are using Hirsch products is to let them dry as per instructions.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

fishnjim

Sounds like you're cleaning and painting them on the motor in the car(?).  I think that's asking for a lot of mess, overspray, coverage issues, problems masking, and clean up - just beware.   

If you have no used plugs, take your out, then wrap completely with masking tape.   Put back in, just put them in by hand - finger tight.   Another way is use old straight plug covers.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

One thing not mentioned here is that if this car is to be used t all, the paint on the cylinder heads, regardless of who's it is and how carefully it is applied, will discolor at the heat cross-overs and tend to blister if the vehicle is used very much.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

MidModCad

Great suggestions all.  Yes, the parts will be painted installed.  Obviously, the coverage won't be as complete, but I try to be very careful with prep and mask.  The heat passages will probably blister down the road, but compared to the way the manifold looks now it will look light years better.  And yes, Hirsch paints.  I've used before and they must cure!

The Tassie Devil(le)

I realise that you are only touching up an installed, complete engine, but in general, one thing that has to be remembered when installing painted parts, especially heavy items, that they will have to be man-handled into place, and therefore there is a possibility that the surface can be marked by hands and the like.

These engines were painted once complete by the factory, and this was done simply for convenience.   Don't forget that any bolts that are outside the protection of the rocker covers will have to have their under-bolt surfaces cleaned of paint prior to installing head bolts.   Then these bolt heads will have to be painted after final torqueing down.

When I am painting any engine, I wait till everything is complete, unless the engine has Aluminium heads/intake manifold.

The only parts that I don't want painted, and mask up especially, is the radiator hose inlet and outlet fittings, heater hose fittings.   Sender units get plugs, and heads get old Spark Plugs.   It is important that some surfaces don't get paint as there are electrical grounding points.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

MidModCad

I second all of that, Bruce, and would add that you must make sure the surface is absolutely clean, dry and lacking even a hint of grease.

The Tassie Devil(le)

When I prepare anything for painting, especially an engine, and it is onm an engine stand, I de-grease it with copious amounts of Brakleen, and rotate the engine on the stand and give the Brakleen the best chance to remove any contaminants.   Wonderful stuff it is.

Plus, with my engine stand, I can easily spin an engine, as there is no friction like with the cheap stands.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon