News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Factory battery hold down bracket for '61

Started by MidModCad, June 07, 2021, 09:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

I'd like to use the factory battery hold down bracket on my '61, but the flanges are 6 1/4" apart while the battery measures 6 3/4."  A prior owner bent it into a pretzeled mess to make it work, so I'll need another, but does anyone make a wider version for common modern batteries?  I suppose I could use a universal battery tray and hold down bracket, but that won't have a stock look.  Anyone have another solution?

Caddyholic

What group is your battery? I have a group 34 (I think?) and used a 61 chevy hold down that I had to bend the core support end a little. I will post a pic tonight.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

MidModCad

Yes, it's a group 34.  As you can see from the pic, the factory sized bracket bracket is just not wide enough. If I go non stock the empty factory bolt holes won't look too awesome.

fishnjim

Those things typically don't survive due to corrosion, so there hard to come by in stock condition.   I don't know anyone making the OEM top hold downs.   I got my battery box from McVeys.   They were repopping them, but you need a holder.   I had it powder coated so it would last and put a battery tray on it.   I'd go to the parts store and peruse the inventory and see what fits close.   I used one from Napa, and had to make the L-bolts out of another set.   So improvise.
I'd "stretch" what U got, but U may not have the tools.  Cut and slice.
I think the battery is too big, should be group 27?   

Daryl Chesterman

Group 34 battery is 6.875 inches in width and Group 27 is 6.75 inches in width.  The Group 27 has a little more cold cranking amps than the group 34, also.

Daryl Chesterman

MidModCad

Unfortunately, both of those groups are too wide.  You can buy exact replacement hold downs, but again, wouldn't be wide enough (this is where some welding skills would come in handy!)  Most of the stuff at OReily's, etc. used a different hold down method.  But maybe you can show me a pic of your solution?

Clewisiii

McVeys reproduction hold down and Battery tray.  At the time I had purchased the last set. They may have more now.

The original on my car was also rubber dipped while this McVeys reproduction is only powder coated
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

MidModCad

Very nice, but think I'd have to buy a different battery - if I could find one to fit that bracket.

fishnjim

Splice/lengthen the cross rod.   I had to modify mine.   But need a welder.   

Caddyholic

This is the one I got from late great Chevy. I had to bend the part I have my finger on. I have these in both my cars. The batteries are group 24-F.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville