News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Can you paint an AC condenser?

Started by MidModCad, June 11, 2021, 04:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

As you can see my condenser is coated with some surface rust that I'd like to paint over. There are threads everywhere on the topic, some saying it will negatively affect heat exchange - others claiming the effect is negligible.  Anyone try it and get a good result?

Highwayman68

They come painted when new and many have repainted old ones when repaired. You are fine to paint it.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

MidModCad

Thanks. Rustless is a much better look. The finish looks semi-flat or semi-gloss.  Any idea which is correct?

The Tassie Devil(le)

You definitely want a flat paint, as anything glossy will reflect heat, and thereby limit the operation of the cooling effect.

Just don't apply too much paint.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

MidModCad

Macabry

Matt black high temp rattle can is your best bet ... just thoroughly degrease it and key with scotchpad first and it'll go on and stay on ... as tassie said, not too thick ... less is more

Good luck 8)
1952 Series 62 Coupe de Ville
1988 Citroen 2cv Special

David Greenburg

I seem to recall seeing special radiator paint that is particularly thin in order to minimize interference with heat transfer.  Perhaps it was Eastwood?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

That rust acts like insulation on the condenser fins reducing its capacity to transfer heat. Painting over it just adds more insulation if the rust remains. Can't see how bad the rust is but if it is just surface rust some time with a small soft bristle brush will be time well spent.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

I very much doubt that there is rust there as these components are Aluminium, and Aluminium doesn't rust.

Could it be simply dirty water staining from an overflowing radiator?   I know that that horrible old coolant fluid stain is hard to remove.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

MidModCad

Looks like rust to me, guys.  I'll post a close up tomorrow.

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

MidModCad

As you can see - and a magnet verifies - it is definitely rust. The photo was taken after a light pass with a copper wire brush. If I paint over the rust I'm thinking it will likely return. I could give it a light sand but there's a chance the particles will clog up the fins, yes?

2manycars

Original Air in Tampa rehabbed mine for me. It is painted a gloss black. I don't know what specific paint they used.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

MidModCad

Kinda out of my geographical area, but thanks for the suggestion. 

2manycars

Eastwood radiator paint in gloss black might do the trick for you.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

MidModCad

Think it would seal the rust to some degree?

V63

Quote from: MidModCad on June 13, 2021, 07:49:30 PM
As you can see - and a magnet verifies - it is definitely rust. The photo was taken after a light pass with a copper wire brush. If I paint over the rust I'm thinking it will likely return. I could give it a light sand but there's a chance the particles will clog up the fins, yes?

The early condensers were steel and painted. I want to say 1963 was first year for aluminum? It was also painted. I had a 1962 (new A6 compressor design) and just can't remember if it was aluminum ? But I'll default to 1963.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

If this were me and I know it's not, I would take a toothbrush sized brass bristle
Brush and gently go horizontally along the tubes to knock the surface rust off. Then with a large soft bristle brush again gently brush the fins. Blow any loose dirt
And rust off and paint with Eastwood's radiator paint.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Macabry

I agree with Greg regarding using wire brushes to gently remove the "active" rust, then I'd wash it down with solvents or carb cleaner ... regarding painting though, I would suggest a high temperature paint either matte or gloss (your decision), but I would definitely use a spray/rattle can rather than brush on paint and DO NOT worry about using radiator specific paints and heat transfer ... I'll explain:

I've performed extensive testing on oil coolers and radiators over 20 years or so using different paint/application methods and heat conduction ... I have a trusty old IR thermometer and mercury thermometer that I've used to test painted surfaces.  I have NEVER seen a difference in conduction measurable by using a specific "radiator" paint (as sometimes claimed), the biggest issue I've found has been the effect of thick/uneven paint on surface finish longevity. Yes, very very thick paint will affect conduction but only minimally. The bigger issue is the heat cycles (contraction and expansion) causes flaking over time on thick paint this effect is worse/quicker... I suggest a light spray painting and try to ensure it doesn't build up in the edges/valleys of the fins. Once the piece is cleaned and prepped well this should give years of happy service  8)

Oh, and gloss/matte paint seems to make no difference 8)

In case anyone's interested this was tested on Model A ford radiators, Ford Anglia e494a, Reliant 3 wheeler radiators(awful little cars) and most often Citroën 2cv oil coolers
1952 Series 62 Coupe de Ville
1988 Citroen 2cv Special

MidModCad

Just saw this post, and great info!  Fortunately, I did everything exactly as you advised and it seemed to come out well.  I also added a light sanding with 400 which took some rust off the horizontal fins. Fingers crossed no flaking over time.