News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

‘75 Eldorado Sun Visors Just Won’t stay Up

Started by KWirth, August 02, 2021, 04:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWirth

Both my sun visors on my '75 Eldorado won't stay up.  Then drop down at the slightest bump in the road and it's annoying.  I have the set screws on both as tight as I can get them and they still drop down.  They are original and in great shape so I'm hoping someone out there has a fix for this issue.  Thanks!

Cadillac Fleetwood

This is caused not because the visor is loose on bracket, but because the cylindrical rod is loose and is rotating within the metal support on the windshield header.  The solution may be to drill a hole through the bracket and cylindrical rod and insert some sort of drift pin to prevent rotation of the rod.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

KWirth

Thanks for the quick reply Charles.  I'll check that out and give your suggestion a try. 
Best regards,
Ken

MaR

I have found that it is usually the plastic liner over the rod that goes into visor is worn and not letting the screw tighten up.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Easy to check. Just loosen the screw and slide the visor off. If the "pin" is loose (most likely) you can rotate it. I typically drill a hole the same size as a very small finishing nail, insert the nail and clip the overhang off leaving about 1/16" which I bend slightly to hold the nail in place.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

KWirth

Thanks for the suggestions.  I just checked it out and both pins were indeed loose so I implemented your suggestion and it worked great.  I broke one drill bit in the process but it's worth it for not having the visor drop down all the time while I'm driving.  I used a small thin finishing nail that has a flat head on top.  I dipped each nail down the tube of weather strip adhesive, put it through the hole from the top and neatly cut off the end with a small hacksaw blade.  Filed each pin on the bottom and cleaned off the excess weather strip adhesive. No one will ever know there was a repair.

You guys, and this club, are the best!  I've gotten great advice and also found great NOS parts for my restoration.  Thanks again

amarzano

Isn't there a plastic grommet that goes into the visor that corrects this? I replaced mine a bit ago and it seems to have solved the problem. I found them on ebay

Alex
1976 Eldorado Convertible - Labor of Love

winger888

Thanks Alex.  :)
I just typed "plastic grommets cadillac visors" and found them on ebay. There is a bunch of companies offering them. Never thought about it
76 Eldorado Bicentennial
79 Lincoln Town Car Collectors Series

Mike Shawgo

KWirth,

I smiled when you said you broke the drill bit.  I was doing the same thing on my 74 Eldo convertible years ago, and broke the drill bit--but, problem fixed!

Mike