News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'61 heater/rad hopse install

Started by MidModCad, August 14, 2021, 04:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

I'm replacing both heater and radiator hoses and having some frustrating fit issues. The new Gates lower rad hose wants to kink where it dips through the little valley in the frame. Tried shaving 1/4 inch off the bottom end but it didn't help.  It seems to have slightly different contours than the old hose (no brand visible).  The 3/4 inch heater hose is also kinking where it comes out of the firewall and makes a (nearly right) turn to go under the manifold. Doesn't seem to matter which way I position it, the hose always kinks.  Again, the old hose doesn't share the problem.  Am I missing something here?

MidModCad

The Tassie Devil(le)

The original hoses are formed with the required curves in them.

Trying to fit hoses that weren't built to follow the original route will always kink.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Daryl Chesterman

You need the preformed 3/4" heater hose with the 90° angle, like this one listed on Fusick.  It shows that it is for a 1959, but I think it would be the same for 1961.  They also show a 5/8" preformed heater hose with the 90° angle.  Just type "heater hoses" in the small search window on the upper-right side of their home page, and scroll down a bit to see 3 different listings.

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1472347

I found three different sources and all of them were equally expensive.  I guess when you need it, and "they" have it, one has to pay the price.  Bulk heater hose will not work as it just kinks.  I used the 5/8" and 3/4" preformed hoses from Fusick, and had to shorten the shorter leg to get a clean fit, as well as shortening the longer leg to get a proper fit.  They are plenty long on both legs.

Daryl Chesterman

MidModCad

That makes sense, but ugh!  Guess I'll have to take the dive. The Gates lower rad hose does have the preformed curves, but it doesn't seem to fit. At this point nothing to lose by trimming some off the top of the hose and seeing if that helps.  Thanks for the info all!

MidModCad

Fusik does have the 3/4 hose, but not the 5/8.  Does that hose need the right angle as well?

Daryl Chesterman

I am not familiar with the 1961 Cadillac, so I don't know the routing of the 5/8" hose.  Fusick says the 5/8" hose is for years 59-62.  You will have to verify that the other nipple is 5/8" and what the routing of it is to know if this hose will work for your car.

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1473466

Maybe you could call Fusick and ask them the length of the hose to be sure it will fit.

They also show this hose, but give no inside diameter or length on it.  Again, it would be worth a call.

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1472344

Fusick also shows this hose for the lower radiator hose.  It is difficult to tell from the picture what the angles are to know if it is the same thing you have in the Gates hose.

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1478313

Daryl Chesterman

Caddyholic

Try dayco part numbers 80405 and 80416. Rockauto, ebay, Amazon, about $15
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

MidModCad

Jim, you called it. Just found out about these right angle hoses. Heading out to pick them up at the local Oreily's.  Should save a lot of scratch ($10 each!)

35-709

Also have found those preformed heater hoses at NAPA.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

Whenever I need an odd hose when doing tasks here, as in engine changes or other stuff, I use up my supply of old hoses that I have amassed over the years, and with a bit of cutting and joining, to get to my required shape, I then go to my local parts shop and search the line of hoses to find the closest shape.

It is surprising what one can come up with, and then having to remember what vehicle it came from is the hard part, unless you write it down.

The assistants are always ready for me when I walk in with a part, that is cobbled together with tubes and clamps to hold its' shape.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon