News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'61 intake reassembly

Started by MidModCad, August 16, 2021, 12:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

Finally got my manifold and rebuilt carb ready to install. The shop manual calls for gasket paste on both sides of the intake gasket. Any consensus on which brand works best. I'd planned to use Permatex Super High Tack on the valve cover gaskets. Would that work well on the intake? The manual also says to coat the metal carb spacer with gasket cement. Same question. And to be sure, they mean both sides of the plate, yes?  If I have it right, the order is gasket, insulator, plate, gasket, carb - so the spacer mates directly to the carb.  Sorry for the dumb question, but my car arrived without a spacer.

Caddyholic

What carb do you have? Carter are Rochester? The carter uses a stainless steel shim under the carb.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

MidModCad

Yes, Carter.  Got the shim and ready to install.  Just want to make sure I'm using the best coating.

Daryl Chesterman

I used Gasgacinch gasket sealer to coat the metal shim under the carburetor.  The proper order of the gaskets, spacer and shim is in the Factory Service Manual (FSM) in the Carburetor section.  If you don't have the FSM, here are two pages from the 1959 FSM that talks about the carburetor installation and the order of the gaskets, spacer and metal shim—yours should be the same.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=134970.0;attach=73425

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=134970.0;attach=73423

Be sure the phenolic spacer is placed in the correct orientation—usually they are marked with "this side up" "top", or something similar.  If no marking, the heart shaped groove should face up.  The tab on the front of  the metal shim should go on the passenger side of intake manifold, and lines up with a little tab that sticks out on the front of the phenolic spacer (if your spacer has that tab).

Daryl Chesterman

MidModCad

Thanks, Daryl.  Did check the order in my manual, but wasn't sure if the shim plate needed gasket sealer on both sides. Using it between plate and carb. metal to metal, seems odd.

Daryl Chesterman

QuoteThanks, Daryl.  Did check the order in my manual, but wasn't sure if the shim plate needed gasket sealer on both sides. Using it between plate and carb. metal to metal, seems odd.

I thought it was odd, also!  That is what the instructions said, so that is what I did, and the newly rebuilt carburetor I installed made the engine run perfectly.  I just had to do some very minor tweaking to the idle-air mixture screws and the idle speed adjusting screw and it idles smooth and steady and has good acceleration.

Daryl Chesterman

MidModCad

Fingers crossed my results are the same!