News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Upper radiator shield for a '61

Started by MidModCad, August 18, 2021, 02:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

Been scratching my head over what purpose the rubber upper radiator shield really has. My car doesn't have one and, from what I can tell, most other cars of this vintage aren't sporting one either.  They're pretty cheap to buy though. Is there a good reason to install?

jagbuxx #12944

I think they were a mid/late year addition for cold climate cars. My April built California coupe is not equipped...
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

quadfins

Frank is correct.

The factory literature refers to them as a way to prevent carburetor icing.

I don't know how much of a problem that really was, but there it is....

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

The Tassie Devil(le)

Any shielding in this area is designed to "encourage" the air flow ro remain within the confines of the Radiator area, and is especially used when a car has Air Conditioning, as the Condenser sits in front of the radiator, and the upper gap needs to be sealed to stop the air from escaping upwards after it passes through said Condenser.

There was one attached to my '60 CDV, that filled in the area between the Radiator and the Fan Shroud, but as mine had had a few alterations, I am not sure if it was stock.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

MidModCad

Good info. Makes sense that my car was not equipped with one since it was originally sold in Arizona. Then again, it does have AC.  Looks better without it, I think, so there you are - one less thing to buy!

David Greenburg

When I saw the subject, I assumed the reference was to the masticated rubber flap found on the top of the radiator support on a/c cars to help "seal" the air flow around the radiator.  But Jim seems to be referring to something else, as this flap does not seem like it would help prevent carb icing, and it was not new for '61; my '60 (with a/c) has one.  My '61 (without a/c) does not.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

quadfins

Dave, you are right, it is the flap above the radiator, that would contact the bottom side of the hood, thus blocking airflow across the top of the air cleaner.

They were not standard in 61, until a running change added them. I will have to consult my serviceman issues to determine when, but it was some time after March, '61, as mine also did not have one.

IIRC, 59 and 60 AC cars had the radiators on different sides of the support, as compared to non AC cars, so the rubber flap was to facilitate better airflow for cooling. This is not the case for 61. Perhaps some issues developed with carb icing, and this was the solution.
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

quadfins

Here it is.

June, 1961 serviceman, page 36.

"Carburetor air inlet baffle reduces icing"
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

jagbuxx #12944

Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

David Greenburg

That is very interesting. I must admit I haven't spent much time under the hood of '61's other than my own.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special