News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Spark plug wires for a '61

Started by MidModCad, September 14, 2021, 01:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

I'm replacing my spark wires which have the orange plug boots for something more period authentic. There are many different black fully assembled sets for sale, but using the factory wire separators means I can only go with a partially assembled set, correct?  The only ones I can find seem to be quite a bit more expensive and you also need to buy the right crimping tool. Anyone come up with a solution?

fishnjim

Try Rock Auto.   They have some listed not too expensive.
I was able to get at the parts store, Balkamp(?), when I bought my last set for the '58, so I suspect some covid related supply issues were you are?
I don't know if AC Delco still make these in black but you might try and search for a set.   
The use silicone wires now, not the old carbon.   You can still get a roll of wire and the clips and make you're own.   If carbon you just have to strip and leave enough to fold over for the clip to connect.   Don't think there's any magic to crimping.
I look at plug wires like tires, they're going to wear out and be replaced, so get the best for the money and go with it.   I don't think anyone cares if your ends are orange... Probably looks good next to Cad blue the compliment color.

MidModCad

Somehow that 1970s Accell orange just looks hot-roddy to me. AC Delco and others are readily available, but as far as I can tell they are fully assembled, so you can't feed them through the separator (which is closed).  Did come up with several partly assembled sets where you add the distributor boots.  Those require the crimping tool, and for some reason, are more expensive.

Scott Halver

Hello, I went through changing out my plug wires this past year in an effort to comply with the judging.   I have a 1960 Cadillac.   I had MSD plug wires that worked wonderfully, 400 to 600 ohms, so very low resistance.   Judging did not like the black MSD wires (8mm, too wide to go in holders).  I changed out the plug wires to the "authentic" Cadillac plug wires with Radio Suppression - Packard written on the wires.   The car started to miss after about 8 miles of driving.   I took all of the plugs out and figured out which plug was missing-   confirmed which plug by changing it to one of the MSD wires.   I started checking the ohms and it was between 7,000 and 12,000 ohms depending upon the length, way too much resistance per my research.   I spent some time researching plug wires and found a set at Pertronix, black wires that look original, about 7mm, so they "fit" in the holders and the wires have about 800 to 1200 ohms per plug wire............  perfect for our cars (race car guys wanting only 100 to 300 ohms).   I ordered 2 sets so that I could pick through the wires to get the right sizes.   You can order the material and make your own wires, but that means being proficient at crimping the wires ........... 
Hope that helps, SHalver #24920
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

Daryl Chesterman

You can use a fully assembled set of spark plug wires with your separators.  Remove your old wires from your separators.  Use a razor knife and slice the separator where each wire goes.  I can't remember if the separators have a groove that is on both sides of them, along the length, but if there is only a groove on the edge of one side, that is the side you want to slice, and it will go down into your separator-holder to keep the separator straight when it is installed.  By slicing the separator this allows you to install the wires one-by-one by slightly bending the separator at each wire's position to open up the separator and place the wires into the separator and slide the separator into the holder, having the sliced, grooved edge down.  If you absolutely do not want to slice the separators, you can do as others have suggested and make up your own wires.  To do so, you will want to get the crimping pliers that are made specially for crimping the ends on spark plug wires—it makes a professional-looking crimp and the crimp will stay tight.  The tool is like Belden 726618, from NAPA.

From the picture on NAPA's website the Belden wires appear to be black, or a very dark blue, with black boots on both ends.  The part number for your 1961 is 700119.

Fusick has the Packard wire set with black boots, but the price is $89.

Daryl Chesterman

Lexi

Daryl is correct. You can order correct wire sets from Fusick. I don't live in the US so Fusick orders are really expensive due to shipping and related fees. Their service is excellent though. They order their wire sets from a company called "Lectric", out of the Chicago area. There was a fascinating video either on YouTube or on the Lectric site that is well worth watching. It detailed how they make exact reproductions of vintage spark plug wire sets. They also manufacture wiring harnesses. Clay/Lexi

https://www.lectriclimited.com/spark-plug-wire-sets

Edit: Earlier this year Fusick claimed to have a staggering 70% loss of shipments using USPS. Don't know if this became regular or was just a blip. So when I last ordered it was couriered and my order was costly to ship. Hope their mailing woes are now corrected. If you go to Hershey they will bring your order there for pick up, (if they still attend). They are very accommodating and I recommend their products.

MidModCad

Much great info, guys. Thanks!  And an excellent solution, Daryl.  Checked those Belden wires but the lengths don't jibe with my current wires.  Always a big thumbs up for Fusick. Their stuff is great. I'll have to consider whether $90 + ship is warranted for a non concours car.  But if the lengths are good...