News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'61 Fuel filter gasket. Which way?

Started by MidModCad, September 14, 2021, 08:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

My first time replacing the fuel filter, but it's not clear if the rubber gasket goes above the filter element flange (flush against the housing) or below (sandwiched between the glass bowl and the element). Someone please steer me in the right direction.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The gasket goes between the Glass and the Filter gauze.   Glass has a better sealing capability than most other stuff.

It is mentioned in a beautiful item in the latest Self Starter.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fishnjim

Don't say if A/C (97) or not(48), but all the same '57 - '62.   
Talking fuel bowl here and not some aftermarket filter?

The rubber gasket that comes with the paper filter cartridge element goes between the glass and the housing.   There's another porous element and it's a bit different, so need to know what element.
I thought I had copied those pages but I have 2 catalogues.   See below for gaskets.

MidModCad

Here's what I've got.  Is this the correct orientation for the gasket?

MidModCad

And yes, factory stock glass bowl filter w. AC.

Big Fins

Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

dadscad

Just a suggestion.  Before assembling the filter, place the glass bowl on the sealing surface of the housing without the filter or gasket in place. Try to rock the bowl to make sure the bowl is flat all around the body surface.  Over tightening will warp the gasket surface at the bail notches. That, if bad enough, will cause a fuel leak.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

MidModCad