News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Lower Control Arm Bolt Part # 146 8512

Started by midwestisbest, October 14, 2021, 08:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwestisbest

Looking for a replacement bolt(s) for the lower control arms on my '60 Sedan Deville.

Master parts book lists the part number as follows:
146 8512

Photos attached.

The specs for the bolt are:
7/16" - 20 x 1 1/2

The problem has been finding a bolt with the same DIAMETER head. The head on this old bolt is larger than new grade 8 bolts. A 3/4 wrench fits around the hex head of the old bolt.

midwestisbest

Long story short: I think I'm going to have to get a flange bolt. McMaster has a bolt with the correct thread & length. And the flange width is 3/4. So this matches the spec of the old one.

The downside(?) is that the new bolt is a 12 point bolt. I have a set of 12 point sockets but its only a 3/8 drive set.

I'll keep you updated.

Caddylackn

You might be able to Weld a nut onto a lug nut stud.  That is a common lug stud size.

I would run the stud through the nut then weld it to the stud from both sides.
'61 Fleetwood 60- owned for 31 years
'61 Series 62 2-door - sold
'64 Series 62 2-door -sold
'67 Sedan De Ville - sold
'74 Eldorado Convertible - sold

Daryl Chesterman

Is there a problem using the old bolt?  The threads have a worn area, but it is not worn past the root of the threads, so the strength of the bolt should be as good as it was when new, unless there is a problem with it that the picture doesn't show.

Daryl Chesterman

Roger Zimmermann

I personally would not reuse this bolt. However, this bolt was used for many years, it should not be a problem to find a good one.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

midwestisbest

The challenge has been finding a bolt with the same head diameter.

New bolts (with same spec) have a smaller 5/8 head.

The original has a 3/4 head.

I now have 12 point flange bolts with the exact specs (including the head diameter) on order through McMaster.

David King (kz78hy)

For a practical repair, use the new grade 8 with a washer under it.  So what if you have to use a different wrench size...my 2 cents.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

fishnjim

Probably a "heavy hex" bolt.   But won't find today in 7/16".    1/2" and up.
You might try Fastenal HQ and see if they know if even made anywhere.     
There's 3 types of bolts: reg, heavy, and structural.   

David King (kz78hy)

I looked it up in my 63 MPL and the bolt he is looking for is used from 46 to 60.  I was hoping that a 63 would be the same and Jason Edge would likely have them, but the size increased to 1/2" in 61.  This is for the lower control arm shaft, a washer and new grade 8 bolt would be fine in my opinion.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

midwestisbest

UPDATE:

I ended up purchasing a replacement from McMaster Carr. The replacement is not exactly like the old one but will suffice.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/screws/thread-size~7-16-20/head-type~12-point/