News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Coupe Mystery squeal

Started by MidModCad, March 01, 2022, 07:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

Ever since I completed a full int. manifold/valve covers/accessories off rehab (degrease, repaint, re-gasket) I've had an intermittent squeal coming from the engine. It begins just after the engine starts warming up - very loud - then slows to a chirp - then disappears altogether.  Sounds like a loose belt, but all are tight.  It's also louder.  Once warmed up there's no squeal... but, when I restart after even a few minutes, there it is again.  And for the first time yesterday it happened while driving.  It seems to come from everywhere, so finding the source is a challenge. A bearing somewhere maybe?  Water pump?  Any ideas appreciated.

russ austin

Start with the accessories. I suspect a bad bearing on the alt, water pump or power steering pump.  Take one belt off at a time.
R.Austin

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

MidModCad

Don't think it's the rocker shafts as I had zero noise before the rehab.  I'll give the accessory idea a try.  The Power steering pump has bad seals and will be rebuilt this week.  Maybe a bearing there has gone south.  The water pump might be a prime culprit too. No idea how old it is.  But again, made no noises before the work.  The noise doesn't seem to be coming from the AC compressor.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: MidModCad on March 02, 2022, 11:27:24 AM
Don't think it's the rocker shafts as I had zero noise before the rehab. 

Did you read the linked thread? Others reported the noise began after rebuilding the engine.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

MidModCad

The engine wasn't rebuilt.  All I did was pull the intake, valve covers and accessories.  So the accessories seem like the most likely place to look.

Bwt

Try a mechanics stethoscope. They are inexpensive and will allow you to place the probe on the accessory to isolate the noise.