News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1962 Crankshaft Pulley. Is it wrong?

Started by midwestisbest, July 17, 2022, 06:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwestisbest

I bought a crankshaft pulley (2 groove no AC) a couple years ago and just got to using it.

I initially put it on, lined up the holes and torqued it down. Thought it was curious it didn't sit flush agains the balancer.  After a while I noticed I kept having to torque the bolts down. Again & again. They wouldn't reach 30 ft pounds.

Woops.

I mis-read the '62 manual. The manual says 20 foot pounds. Not 30.

I took the pulley off and its bent just slightly. Photo attached.

Also noticed many of the photos I found had a "ring" or shim or plate in front of the pulley. The shim/plate isn't really listed in the master parts manual, except to say its included with the pulley for AC cars:

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Shop_Manuals_and_Illus_Catalogs/Master%20Parts%20List%20thru%201964/Group%200/tn/Group%200%20-%2020.jpg.html

So I found a shim/plate. It doesn't quite fit over the front of the pulley. The "lip' is in the way. If I put the plate over the balancer, it fits flawlessly.

Regardless of the bend I think the pulley I have is either the wrong year or not a Cadillac pulley. I've looked at other 59-62 pulleys and none have the "lip" that mine has around the circumference.

Want to reference this thread as well:
https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=155323.0

I measured the crank area that the pulley is supposed to fit onto. It measures 50.75 millimeters. Roughly 2 inches in diameter. Photo below.

The pulley inside diameter  I have measures 46 millimeters. Roughly 1 13/16 inches.

This tells me there is 5mm difference and probably no amount of bending back is going to make up that difference.

I found another 2 groove pulley and hopefully it arrives this week.

Thanks for listening.

midwestisbest