News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fog/signal, lights 58 sixty special

Started by Coral58, February 18, 2023, 07:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coral58

Have a problem with the fog/driving,signal lights. The left  signal seems much dimmer than the right.which bulb is the signal, which is the parking, I believe the large bulb is the driving light. What should I look for?

V63

I would check all connections with special attention to ground connections.

Daryl Chesterman

In addition to checking ground connections, I would be sure that the correct bulbs are in place—there are many bulbs that have the same base size, but different candlepower (brightness).

Daryl Chesterman

fishnjim

Best way to tell is look at the electrical diagram and track the wire colors.   There's basically two bulbs, 1156 and 1157, back then and they fit all the TS indicators.   One is single element(56) and one dual(57).  Usually the side prongs are offset to only fit a certain way in the socket to maintain correct operation.
Without knowing the condition, since these are front and exposed to elements, it's only a guess, but the wiring and connectors maybe corroded or the light socket similarly affected and not making good ground.   I replaced the socket in one of mine and I had to adapt to what I could find as originals are "not".   The wire was brittle and in not very functional.  You can spray paint the reflector too, if it's dull, with a good chrome paint.  The gaskets are available.
The turn signals are controlled to a certain extent from the circuit board behind the dash pod.  That's how it flashes when a bulb is bad and can impact the operation also.   The boards were available, not sure if still.  The contact strips corrode and fall off.

Roger Zimmermann

If the car has fog lamps, the correct bulb is the type 1044. Difficult to remove/install.
The picture is from a 1074 bulb which is fog and parking lamp; 1044 has the same installation system but is for turn signal and fog lamp.
If a 1074 bulb was installed, the turn signal will be weak. Those bulbs were used for 1959 models and other years.

Amp. 1074.JPG
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

V63

Yes, Roger those bulbs are a challenge to install for sure

Coral58

Thanks for all of everyone's suggestions.

Coral58

I have  tried grounds to the battery, still dim on left side, see the fog bulb is 1074,not correct, I do have ge2336 bulbs, would they work? How do I remove the old ones with out breaking them?Tips?